The new Windows 7 beta release just like Vista preview releases before it incorporate some additional UI elements meant for testers to submit feedback back to Microsoft.
Now considering you may be running this Beta 1 release as your main OS for some reason (I admit it, I have given in to the temptation many times before), one of those elements in particular can become annoying and obtrusive to your otherwise neat configured desktop.
Here’s how to remove the Send Feedback link:
(1) Run the Registry Editor (type regedit on the start run menu)
(2) Browse to the following registry key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop
(3) If it’s not already there, add a new DWORD (32-bit) value “FeedbackToolEnabled” and set its data field to 0.
(4) The change should take effect on your next restart.
An alternative way to do this is to run this registry key file I have compiled for you. Just download, run and then restart.
There’s also a way to remove the wallpaper watermark from the beta, though I don’t find this quite as bothersome.
The process for doing this is a bit more complicated, having to patch the original user32.dll.mui file found on your Windows folder. So what I recommend you do is download this utility (found via My Digital Life) that will take care of everything for you – notice however this is only meant to work with Windows 7 Build 7000 (Beta 1).
Update: We still encourage all users to submit their feedback to Microsoft. It’s obvious that’s the reason Microsoft is giving away the OS code at this stage (besides building momentum after a lackluster Vista reception from most media), so if you come across some obvious bugs please submit them so developers can get them fixed in future revisions.
Our intention with this tip is to give you a fix for aesthetics if you will be using the beta for a prolonged time and the send feedback link bothers you visually. Ultimately what we all want is a flawless-as-you-can-get Windows 7 final release later this year.
33 Comments so far
- How to remove Windows 7 Beta ‘Send Feedback’ link and wallpaper watermark « The IT Crowd
- Removendo a marca 'Send Feedback' do Windows 7 » BR-Informática.org
- Windows 7′ye Makyaj Yap?n! - Turkce mIRC indir , mirc, mirc indir
- DeskMundo » Remova o “Send Feedback” no Windows 7
- DeskMundo » Remova a marca d’água do Windows 7
- Remove watermark and send feedback in windows 7 « Jerno - Blog
- Cómo eliminar el enlace Send Feedback de Windows 7
- Boink e os Karais » Windows 7 Beta Build 7000
- How to remove the Watermark in Windows 7 Beta 1 « TAPS News
- .:Åqµ¡ †ëM †µðö ðä ñë†:. » Blog Archive » Removendo a marca ‘Send Feedback’ do Windows 7
- Windows 7 Send Feedback uyar?s?n? kald?rmak | Ömer Kartal // Offical Page
- Link-uri în caz de nevoie « Blogul minunatului creier le?inat
- Twitter Trackbacks for How to remove Windows 7 Beta ‘Send Feedback’ link and wallpaper watermark - TechSpot Blog [techspot.com] on Topsy.com
- Microsoft shifting gears; Windows 7 Coming real soon! | OnlyGizmos
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.