¿¿Too much memory??

By dani_17
Jul 25, 2003
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hi All!!,

As many of the users here, I've got quite a decent high performance computer, with loads of ram. I have 1gb of Crucial 400Mhz DDR memory.

As many of us here, I tweaked a little bit my system, don't have unnecessary memory resident programs running, and also disabled the windows services that I won't use...etc.

BUT, is this all necessary?? I mean, I usually have about 700 mb of available unused memory while running windows, and the hard drive still spins to use virtual memory. Is there a way of running a big part of the windows os, and programs virtual memory usage to the main system memory? Wouldn't that be a lot faster?

Maybe we need a guide here... :)
  2. JSR

JSR Banned Posts: 730

yes

you can turn your page file off............right click on my computer/properties/advanced/performance/advanced/virtual memory/change/no paging file
  3. dani_17

dani_17 Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 208

Yeah I know, but I run into problems with some applications, so that's not a solution. Also if I set the page file to something to small some programs show a message or even crash at startup.
  4. Mictlantecuhtli

Mictlantecuhtli TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 4,916   +9

That's how Windows applications are made :giddy:

I know one way to circumvent this nuisance - install your swap file to ramdisk.

It just sounds stupid to use RAM to store virtual memory there that should be used as RAM extension, but then again, it fits that OS logic (if it has one) :giddy:
  5. JSR

then, why write?

too much?............memory?............believe me, 1 gig of ram, is not too much, and, is, the recommendation for today's games and applications......you can, segregate the swap file, as mic suggests, but, for you? why?, ............as you dwell on having too much memory?.............and, yet, concerned about application speed?.....just let the system manage it, and take a chill pill :grinthumb
  6. dani_17

I know 1gb is not to much, but if you are working in windows, using some applications that don't requiere so much speed, they would work a lot faster if the pc didn't use virtual memory.

Mictl, I know that you can buy ram drives, but I don't have the money and wouldn't do it if I had it :p Anybody knows how to do it the software way?
  7. XtR-X

XtR-X Newcomer, in training Posts: 1,040

As far as Windows 98 goes, if you use over 512MB of RAM (on win98), it actually decreases performance. I've proven this theory myself.
  8. acidosmosis

acidosmosis TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,574

Actually its around 160MB of RAM that 98's memory management starts to decrease. I had problems with Windows memory management with 320MB of RAM. Rebooting every two days depending on how much I was doing on that PC, I may have had to reboot a few times a day.

Microsoft has admitted this also. The problem lies in the Vcache. There is another thread about this you might want to search for.

Also here is some information about system resources which in a way also applys to this discussion.

9. Nic

Nic TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,928

You can use OO Software's Clevercache 4 program to manage disk caching more efficiently. Alternatively, you could try making your pagefile small (if you don't want to switch it off), say 10MB, then winXP will have to use more of your ram. Really, its better to just leave it alone.

Here is a link to techspot's very own Windows XP Memory Tweak Guide ...

Windows XP Memory Tweak Guide - TechSpot
  10. acidosmosis

Please be aware that most of these programs cause more problems than they fix. Not counting spyware, and other pointless programs installed by these kinds of software which most of the time the user doesn't even know are installed.
  11. Nic

That particular program works well (I have used it), but leaving things alone works just as well.

The best thing you can do for performance is to set a large minimum size for your pagefile. This stops it becoming fragmented as you will seldom use all of it. I set mine to 2,048 MB (max size 4,096 MB), which is ample. Also you don't need to worry when you disk space gets low as windows will still have a 2GB pagefile to play with.

12. dani_17

Nic, Are you shure that setting such a big pagefile will be good? I'tll sure decrease the time the pf needs to grow, but won't the system get slower because of constant size of it?
  13. StormBringer

StormBringer Newcomer, in training Posts: 2,871

When using large amounts of RAM it is best to test different size pagefiles. Running without a pagefile is fine if you can. Some applications either complain, or will simply not run unless you have a pagefile for them to use. Personally, my pagefiles on two different systtems with different specs, though both having 1.5GB RAM, one is set to 348MB, the other is set to 400MB. Same size is set for max and min size.

Another thing you can do is change the VCache size. You can also Disable paging of kernel, this will put Windows into RAM, instead of using the PF. There are several other things you can do that alone won't mean much, but in combination they will add up to a good increase in performance and will allow you to utilize the extra RAM to your best advantage.
    Go here http://www.winguides.com/registry/ look for memory tweaks to find things that can help.
  14. Nic

I have been using that large pagefile for some time now and it never gets fragmented, and never needs to grow. It works well, trust me, as I used to get a lot of slowdown due to fragmentation, but that just doesn't happen anymore. Give it a go and you're sure to stick with it. You never need worry about running out of disk space either as windows will always have enough. Only occassionaly does my system need to temporarily increase the pagefile. I hate being pestered by windows telling me that it needs to increase the size of my pagefile, even when it was over 1GB, well now I don't worry about it anymore.
  15. acidosmosis

Storm: The Vcache tweak only works in 9x windows versions correct?

From what I've read, you dont need to modify those settings in 2000 and XP. (Just asking so that in case someone reads this with 2000 or XP they dont try this). Also since 2000 and XP manage memory much better.
  16. StormBringer

Acid, I have read conflicting statements about changing VCache in 2k/XP, although I do know it helps with 9x. I haven't made any changes to mine because the article I read about it said to set it to the settings that mine were already.
  17. acidosmosis

Yea, from what I read it basically said 2K and XP improved the Vcache problem (or you might want to say fixed but when does Microsoft actually fix something 100%) and therefore it doesn't really need to be tweaked.
  18. Mictlantecuhtli

Mictlantecuhtli TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 4,916   +9

19. JSR

20. Dantrag

Dantrag TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 262

leave the virtual memory alone it works fine for while but after a while it does random resets. realy just leave it if you dont like it look for an other os :p
  21. StormBringer

It's not a very good idea to give that kind of advice around here.

Instead of doing that, if you don't like something about Windows, learn how to tweak it.
  22. Samstoned

Samstoned TechSpot Paladin Posts: 2,582

I read somewhere ,forgot where, you can write batch file to each program you want to use RAM instead of diskram .
    Is this true?
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.