0x0000007F and other error codes (please diagnose)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Recently, I upgraded my video card from an nVidia Geforce MX/MX400 to an XMDIA GeForce2 FX 5500. Right before upgrading, I encountered a strange BSOD in Windows XP while playing Master of Orion 3. The first thing that happened was MOO3 paused for a few seconds, then it went to a black background (the game, not the OS) and displayed "DirectX surface not available." I then restarted the game, and after a few minutes of gameplay, my computer halted with a BSOD. Upon reboot, the crash analysis claims it was a device driver that caused it (the only devices actively running were the CD-ROM, which has a generic driver, and the harddrive, which I don't think requires any specific drivers). I have received several BSOD's since upgrading, as well, but two of them were due to older drivers on the nVidia card (after upgrading, the applications that caused a crash merely operated strangely instead of crashing Windows). If anyone could diagnose these minidumps, I'd gladly appreciate it.

If you require any additional information about my hardware/system specs, just let me know.

Hi,

Your windows have multiple culprits. The first culprit is nVidia Display card driver 66.93 which is the faulty device driver. Upgrade nVidia Display card driver. Bugcheck code EA at nVidia Display Card driver is document at microsoft website.

The second culprit is hardware problem as your windows crashed with bugcheck code 7F. The faulty hardware maybe RAM or motherboard. If you attach more minidump, maybe I can confirm which hardware component is faulty.

To cpc2004:

The minidump for the nVidia driver 66.93 has been resolved, because I upgraded the drivers shortly after having that error code. As for the 7F code, I doubt it is the RAM or the motherboard for two reasons: I have run MemTest86 on the RAM before, and had no problems with it. It is a matched pair designed to work with Dual Channel DDR. Also, my motherboard has never crashed on me before, it is a Gigabyte GA-7N400S-L and it was able to run three days straight with 100% CPU usage while I was rendering a 3D scene. I just now looked at the Event Viewer, and I have seen several "cdrom" errors that supposedly can be caused by faulty cables. As for more minidumps, I don't have any more right now. If it crashes again I'll be sure to send another. I typically have a very stable system so it's more than likely that something I did on September 10 started causing instability, possibly from me installing the DirectX 9 SDK (those are sometimes buggy)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back