TechSpot

0x0000008e at every shutdown

By masher
Oct 31, 2006
  1. I'm new to the board and there seems to be lots of good info here. I need some help with a BSOD at every shutdown. It is a fresh reload of XP Pro SP2 with a SOYO Dragon 2 motherboard, 1 GB of RAM, 160 GB Hard Drive, new Nvidia 6800 card made by EVGA. I have updated to the lastest Nvidia drivers from their website and have also flashed the BIOS on my motherboard with the latest from SOYO. Now at every shutdown or restart I get a BSOD with the error code 0x0000008e. I can't figure out what it is pointing to. I have many minidumps which I have attached here and I also have a kernel memory dump which I was trying to look at with WinDbg but I couldn't get the symbols to load. Any help or advice on this is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

2. peterdiva

peterdiva TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 1,088

The problem is with Crypto.SYS, which belongs to Netgear VPN Client software. The file's 3 years old, so you might be able to get an update.

3. masher

masher TS Rookie Topic Starter

I am not using any sort of Netgear VPN or software. How else could that file get there??

Thanks

4. peterdiva

peterdiva TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 1,088

Do a search on your system for the file, and see if you can find out what it belongs to (Deterministic Networks?).

5. masher

masher TS Rookie Topic Starter

Thanks for the help. I removed the file and now the system runs fine.

Thanks

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.