0x8e Bluescreen

Status
Not open for further replies.

nrhk

After getting this bluescreen error for over an year and trying to figure it out myself, I give up. It happens somewhat randomly and crashes over and over once it occurs.

Heres analysis from my most recent kernal dumps and some older minidumps.

Attachments

• minidumps.zip
    59 KB · Views: 12
Hello and welcome to Techspot.

Some of your minidumps crash at your Symantec/Norton crapware. I`m not saying this is the cause of all your crashes, but it might be.

Download the free AVG or Avast antivirus programmes and either the free Zonealarm or Kerio firewall programmes. You can get them HERE, HERE, HERE and HERE.

Now disconnect from the internet and uninstall your Symantec/Norton security software. If you have any problems uninstalling see HERE.

Once you`re sure Symantec/Norton is uninstalled, install whichever firewall you chose, followed by whichever antivirus programme you chose. Reboot your system the required number of times. Reconnect to the net and run the antivirus updates.

See if your system becomes stable.

If it doesn`t, please attach further minidumps here.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

Yes I've been getting a couple of dumps that point to nave.sys(sp) which is part of norton so I disabled symantec in my services but it crashed again due to usbport.sys so I dunno. I'll uninstall and see if it helps. Thanks

I've been continuing to get crashes but most of them are untraceable. Most of hte analysis is blaming win2k.sys which is probaly not the problem.

I turned on the driver verifier and had it track all of my 3rd party drivers and it picked out my nvidia graphics driver once out of the past 5 or 6 crahes I've had. They've usually occur when I'm using lots of RAM in something like photoshop. Could my RAM be bad? I've used memtest and they've turned up fine but meh :/. This is such a pain in the ***, I've been having this problem for over a year and have some 500 odd crashes becuase of it.

It is possible you`ve got faulty ram and some faulty ram can pass memtest. However, a faulty or underpowered psu can also cause these exact problems, as can other potential hardware problems.

What psu do you have? We need the brand, wattage and how many amps it puts out on the 12 volt rail. You can find this info on the psu label.

You should also go HERE and follow the instructions.

Regards Howard :)

My PSU should be more than enough to handle my computer

It's a MadDog 500watt PSU and 30 amps I think. I have 1.5 gigs of RAM, 1 1 gig stick and 2 256 sicks. I've tried rearranging them and using one stick at a time to no avail.

My computer checks out on everything on that page. Everythings defragged including the page file. I've run memtest and my system isn't overheating

In that case, you should start testing everything you can. This means your hard drive/page file, also check your mobo for bulging or leaking capacitors. Make sure you completely uninstall Symantec/Norton, this is so we can eliminate it from the equation.

Disconnect anything not required to run your system, this includes optical drives/card readers/all usb devices except mouse and keyboard/wirless cards/pci cards etc etc. Leave only the mobo/cpu/hard drive/graphics card/one stick of ram. See if your system becomes stable.

Post any further minidumps you get.

For reference

Processor: Intel Pentium 4, 3200 MHz (16 x 200)
Motherboard: Asus P4S800D-X (5 PCI, 1 AGP, 4 DDR DIMM, Audio, LAN)
Memory: 1536 MB (PC3200 DDR SDRAM)
Video Card: GeForce 6600 GT (128 MB)
HDDs:
WDC WD1600BB-98DWA0 (149 GB, IDE)
ST380011A (80 GB, 7200 RPM, Ultra-ATA/100)
Maxtor 6L200P0 (200 GB, 7200 RPM, Ultra-ATA/133)

Optical Drive: SONY DVD RW DW-U14A (DVD+RW:4x/4x, DVD-RW:4x/2x, DVD-ROM:8x, CD:24x/16x/32x DVD+RW/DVD-RW)

I'll run off single RAM sticks and see how that checks out. I've done it before and but it still crashed but I'll test it again.
I've completely removed symantec with jvpowertools so that'll be out of the way.
The only problem with my setup is the 3 hadrives, two which are connected to each other and the last one is connected to my optic drive.

This problems driving me insane. Could it be the motherboard? I checked all the capacitors and they all seem fine. There's no dust. I have the latest drivers for everything and I've been playing around with verifier to see if I can catch a driver red handed with no luck.

*Sigh, 11 crashes in 1 day. This is really getting out of hand

sorry to jump in but u can try this download DFT(drive fitness test) and run a advance test on your hdd then post the code (ex...0x70).

why did it block but7

Haha, I dunno but anything would be of help right now. I used this DriverAgent thing to make sure all my drivers were up to date and I ran chkdsk to make sure my HDD were ok but I can try this thing too

xxdanielxx: It blocked that word due to our automatic censoring software.

nrhk: If after running the hard drive diagnostics suggested by xxdanielxx, your hard drives check out ok, I believe there`s a strong possibility that your mobo may be faulty. Unfortunately, minidumps don`t often pinpoint a hardware problem precisely.

Did you disconnect everything except for the essentials and try running your system with the bare minimum of components?

I ran DFT and got error code 0x00 which means theres nothing wrong with the discs. Memtest returned with 43 passes for both my 256 sicks and 26 passes for my 1 gig stick. There's no overheating. All dust has been cleared out. My PPU is still working fine.

So most like
HDD - Working
PPU - Working
RAM - Working?

Is there any way to test the motherboard and processor? I don't think the video card would be able to cause these bluescreens

Hi there
Like nrhk I have a problem with BSOD appearing intermittently.
I have followed some of the advice given on the forum. The Dell site does not appear to provide a driver update for my Dimension 4700 and when I thought I was downloading an updated driver for my ATI X300 Radeon I ended up with Catalyst 6.12 Display Driver - the shortcut icon of which does not open. I have downloaded ZoneAlarm, uninstalled Norton System Works, run a virus check with AVG, which found two viruses, and reinstalled Norton.
The problem began in Nov 2005 when I installed Norton 2006 but forgot to reinstall the firewall for about two weeks. When I tried Memtest it showed about 30 different options. So I tried Check It Diagnostics Memory Test and it found no errors.
I would be grateful for any more advice.
Regards
JJM

Hi cpc2004
The title at the head of this forum says 08xe Bluescreen and that is the problem I have so I assumed this was the thread to post a query in ?
I have read the FAQs and tried the remedies that I am capable of.
As stated above the problem started after I was without the firewall for two weeks. Could I have malware on the system and can I be rid of it?
Regards
JJM

FIXED: 0x0000008E (0xC0000005, 0x80598102, 0xA6FC5CAL, 0x00000000)

FIXED: 0x0000008E (0xC0000005, 0x80598102, 0xA6FC5CAL, 0x00000000)
I fixed this Blue Screen Error on a PC, and this is how I did it:

1) Firstly, there seems to be a few possible causes for this error, the cause on my machine seems to have been a driver/update problem, but memory issues played a part. Here are some of the causes others documented:
1 a) Corrupt Memory – see [link removed as I have less than 5 points on this forum – suggest you search for solution in other forums] for suggested solutions (removing one of your memory sticks at a time and testing for the error was a great tip, thanks SnowDog.
1 b) Driver/Update issue - see [link removed as I have less than 5 points on this forum – suggest you search for solution in other forums] for info about rolling back drivers (I didnt do this). Some suggested updating Video Card Drivers. I have forgotten who said that it could be a file that needs to be updated, but thanks whoever that was, cause updating my PC was part of the solution.
Please note: If you changed Hardware Acceleration Setting, see 3f below.
1 c) BIOS/Firmware issues - Lots of people suggested updating the BIOS software. I only ever do this as a last resort or if I KNOW its the BIOS thats to blame. As mama said, "if the BIOS aint broken, dont update it!"
1 d) Its a VIRUS! Aaaaagggghhhhh!!!! - see [link removed as I have less than 5 points on this forum – suggest you search for solution in other forums] for a really good guide about a user that fixed this problem by getting rid of a rootkit virus, thanks Troll.
1 e) Its a Hardware Issue - see [link removed as I have less than 5 points on this forum – suggest you search for solution in other forums] for an example of this. In my case it was a Dell Machine, I ran the Dell System/Testing Utility (press F12 to get to Boot Menu at start-up and select Utility Partition) which told me all hardware was fine.

2) What I did (My SOLUTION):
2 a) Reset the BIOS to factory settings (do this in the BIOS or by removing the BIOS battery from your motherboard and unplugging the PC for 20 seconds). This didnt fix the problem (but may have helped).
2 b) Ran SFC / SCANNOW (the System File Checker Tool from MS - see [link removed as I have less than 5 points on this forum – suggest you search for solution in other forums] for more info) from the command prompt. This didnt fix the problem (but may have helped).
2 c) Remove 2 of 4 memory sticks (the problem seemed to go away), then replaced those memory sticks and removed the other two (the error stayed away).
2 d) Installed XP Service Pack 3 (SP3 was the only update available) - this worked with half the memory sticks in (previously it failed with all memory sticks in as the PC blue-screened half way through.
2 e) Replaced all memory and tested - all working. Did a complete scan using Anti-Virus software to check for viruses and to check the PC does not blue-screen with all memory used.

3) More info:
3 a) I saw this error within 5 mins of loading Windows XP Pro SP 2.
3 b) The error could be re-produced more speedily by loading programs (and so using more memory)
3 c) I tried to disable pe386 (see 1d above) but I got an error (something about it could not be found) so gave up on the "Its a VIRUS!" idea.
3 d) The AV reported two files infected after scan
3 e) The Dell Tests (see 1e above) produced 4 error codes with instructions to give them to my Dell Support Rep. The codes were:
1100:012A
1100:022A
1100:032A
1100:042A
I did this, but was told they had "no useful information about those codes" (thanks Dell). They then asked me to do an express test, when it said all was fine they told me it was a software issue and I would be charged £25 for the support they gave me!!!! (yeah, good luck with that Dell).
3 f) If you recently changed the Hardware Acceleration Setting for Video read this MS article before you do anything as this is probably your solution: [link removed as I have less than 5 points on this forum – suggest you search for solution in other forums]
3 g) Mama also said "if the registry aint broken, dont 'optimize' it!"
Well hope my solution helps you find yours.
Happy hunting!
-I had to remove (the useful) links in this post as I am a newbie here.. :-(
but I will post this solution elsewhere.. find it using Google :)

Hello

0x8E is releated to memory on the computer- Try to reseat the memory chips or if u have more than 1 memory chip try one at a time and check if u still get the same Blue screen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back