1.2 MB Excel file not loading

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello there,

I recently created a 1.2 MB Excel spreadsheet for work. In the past couple of days it isn't opening at all, I'm guessing this is because the file is just too big. I've tried closing down all my running programs including Explorer windows, MSN Messenger, Yahoo! Messenger, ICQ, Webshots, etc.

When the file was attempting to open I opened Windows Task Manager but have no idea which process is safe to end so that this file can open. The process with the largest mem usage was acrord32.exe. Is it safe to end this just so I can work with the file? Any other tips would be much appreciated...thank you :) .

Acrord32.exe is Acrobat reader.....you should be able to kill the process if closing the program hasn't done so. How much memory have you got in the workstation? Also, what version of Office are you using? That is a fairly large file by Excel standards.

Well, it is certainly not the size. I've opened 600mb excel files before. And open 5mb+ on a daily basis. This should not be a problem, even for a low-end computer.

Do you get any sort of warnings or errors?

Perhaps try reinstalling Office.

Maybe look in the event viewer and it might give you a better idea of what is going on and why it is failing to load. But as Rick said the size shouldn't matter. Could it have gotten corrupted? Are you trying to load it from a floppy?

BTW :wave: Welcome to TechSpot :wave:

Is the file coming from the same version of Office?
If not, you may need to install a filter in Excell, that makes it compliant when loading other versions of Excel.
On MS-website, look for something like Excelviewer (probably xlviewer.exe) and download it. Try if you can open it with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back