TechSpot

1.25 Gb ram @166 or 1.5 Gb @133

By lopdog
Nov 13, 2007
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I have the following memory modules installed (according to Everest Ultimate Edition 4.0)

In my BIOS it is set to run at 133 (1:1 cpu/memory ratio, auto setting). If I take out the memory-module in DIMM0, it runs at 166 (4:5 cpu/memory ratio, auto setting).

What would be the fastest choice: ~1.5 Gb memory running at 133 MHz, or ~1.25 Gb running at 166 MHz? Or could I just use the three modules and force cpu/memory ratio to 4:5 (no extra cooling).
    I use 3D-applications that requiere quite a bit of memory, but I never actually run out of physical memory.

Any suggestions appreciated, sorry if my explanation is a bit complicated, English is not my first language ;)

BTW, the 256 MB PC2100 module was supposed to be PC2700, it even has a small sticker on it that says "256 MB PC2700 DDR333"
  2. Rik

Rik Banned Posts: 4,985

Mixing ram speeds is a seriously bad idea. Remove the pc2100 and do without it.
  3. pdyckman@comcas

pdyckman@comcas TS Rookie Posts: 718

Ram modules pc-2100 and pc-2700 are backwards compatible. When you mix these, your memory speed will run at the speed of the slowest module. In this case, removing the pc2100 is a good idea to gain the faster ram. Only 256 mb less.
  4. lopdog

lopdog TS Maniac Topic Starter Posts: 378

Thank you, that sounds like a good idea. I guess I´ll be OK with 1.2 gig in this old computer anyway.
  5. Mictlantecuhtli

Mictlantecuhtli TS Evangelist Posts: 4,916   +9

I think you'd notice a bigger performance improvement by having 256M more RAM rather than a slightly faster memory speed.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.