1.33 to a XP 1.533

Status
Not open for further replies.

bretty

I know this is asked a lot, would this be a worthy upgrade?

I did have my eye on a 2200+, although I would need to get a new MOBO for anything over 2000+

I can either get the 2000+, the 1800+ and keep the same MOBO or I can go higher and get a new MOBO.
CASH is limited at the moment, and my programming contract has expired. This means no work for a month or two.

Thanks lads.

I wouldn't, if I were you. 1.33 GHz today isn't that slow. I myself would wait. Especially if you're strapped for cash.

If you do want to upgrade, I'd say buy a 2200+ TBred-B and a cheap new sysbo. Still, you're only going from 1.33GHz to 1.8GHz. You won't see an amazing change, but a change still.

So I should wait till I can get everthing at once. I was prepared to spend $500 or so.

For that I get a MOBO (7VRX)that will have me right for a year or so. It has support for the 2600+ on default BIOS. So then I though I buy the MOBO by itself and not expecting any performance increase, although getting ready for the new CPU. If it supports the 2600+ on default BIOS, then a few revisions will have it up to 3300+

I have attached tje quotes I have. These are $AUS

Originally posted by Vehementi
I wouldn't, if I were you. 1.33 GHz today isn't that slow. I myself would wait.B]

Veh is right, Bretty. If I were you i would wanna wait for the new AMD Clawhammer comes out and see what happens, at the mean time i'll find some odd jobs to save up extra money for the new parts if necessary. If you upgrade now, its not worth the money.

Your system's spec looks pretty good at the moment.

I've been eyeing up new CPUs as well and I am currently running a 1.4Ghz Athlon at 1.5Ghz. Thing is the XPs seem to give better video performance due to their revised cores and new features. Even the XP 1600+ (1.43Ghz) seems to give a reasonable performance increase over my CPU. I've started to find some games a bit slow like Soldier of Fortune 2 and Morrowind could be a bit smoother. I'm considering a cheap upgrade of CPU before the clawhammer just to get a bit more performance out of my GF3...

Might just try and hold on a bit longer though. The Clawhammers are now delayed until the 1st Quarter of 2003 so I am tempted to get a cheap 2200+ or 2000+ and another 256mb of ram (to take it to 512mb DDR2100). That (to use a benchmark that doesn't mean all that much) should give me another 2-3000 3dmark2001SE marks. This should smooth out the performance in some of the games until I get round to doing a complete system rebuild. Although Asus' website doesn't seem too clear about exactly which XPs my A7M266 board will support :(

couple questions, claw hammer wont be out until first-second quarter 2003, and isnt the 2600+ amd's coming out very soon?

Originally posted by Nick
couple questions, claw hammer wont be out until first-second quarter 2003, and isnt the 2600+ amd's coming out very soon?

Yes, Clawhammer will be launched Q1 2003 and be out Q2 2003. The 2600+ should be in stores later this month of next month. You also have to note that AMD is launching the Barton later this year and have it out Q1 2003.

2600+ will run at 2.0ghz yeah?

Thats going to be my next chip I think. And some DDR333......mmmmmm bandwith

You say they are out this month? is that AUS too?

I would run 3dmark 2k1 and submit your results then
do a processor comparison, to see where you would most
likely end up......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back