TechSpot

1 GB DDR2 for 9.99

By Technochicken
Nov 17, 2008
  1. LinkedKube

LinkedKube TechSpot Project Baby Posts: 3,481   +44

I love my computers too much to see them set on fire by cheap ram.

2. kimsland

kimsland Ex-TechSpotter Posts: 14,524

The original link from Tigerdirect is unavailable
    So I can't confirm how much it would be

Suffice to say, that spending $9.99 will get you a crappy card
    Newegg have covered the costs in having the Mail-In Rebate (a bit sneaky hey)

Today's Featured Memory Deals at Newegg (that covers all of them ;) )
    http://www.newegg.com/Store/Category.aspx?Category=17&name=Memory

3. cfitzarl

cfitzarl TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,975   +9

Great deal, but I'm not sure I trust cheap RAM ;) .

4. Rage_3K_Moiz

Rage_3K_Moiz Sith Lord Posts: 5,431   +28

LOL that's some exaggeration mate!

And besides, the link is not geared at the gaming enthusiasts around here; it could be very useful for someone looking to build a PC on the cheap. Generic RAM can run as well as any other as long as you don't tinker with it.

5. cwr

cwr TS Rookie

Buy OCZ ram if your motherboard can handle it. It's some of the best ram for the price ratio.

6. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 11,688   +1,879

Well.....

You can purchase a 2GB Kit (2 x 1GB) of Kingston Value RAM DDR2 800Mhz (PC6400) for $24.49 outright (no rebates,no BS) with free shipping from Newegg. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820134117

Personally, I would (have) take(n) this deal in lieu of what is being offered by Tiger Direct.

That price is $12.24 (& a 1/2 cent) per 1GB stick, just so's ya needn't do the math yourselves.

7. cwr

cwr TS Rookie

performance ram.

I should elaborate. OCZ is performance ram. It's a little more expensive than the kingston standard get what you pay for ram. I had kingston for the a couple of years. When I decided to upgrade to 2GB, I did some research on performance RAM. That led me to brands such as OCZ, G.Skill, and other performance ram products. I chose OCZ for a number of reasons, one of which is, it works tight timings on auto settings which is what my motherboard needs because it doesn't have a controller to set most ram/bus/voltage settings manually, it's a little sparse.

After installing the OCZ performance ram that runs at true DDR400 speeds and tight 2.5/3/2/5 timings, I noticed performance gains across the board.

Go ahead and buy cheap ram if you web browse, read emails, etc. If you want to unleash the power of your CPU, buy performance ram that is recommended by your motherboards manufacturer.

8. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 11,688   +1,879

Well First of All.....

Since the RAM in the post is made by Crucial, I am at a loss to understand what OCZ has to do with anything. Plus, it actually doesn't matter how good the OCZ DDR RAM you're discussing is, (fine though it may be), even the Kingston Value RAM beats it by a speed factor of two (2) 400Mhz into 800Mhz equals 2.

9. liammk

liammk TS Rookie

i might buy that

10. LinkedKube

LinkedKube TechSpot Project Baby Posts: 3,481   +44

I know I know, at most it would fail, as far as the ram. So yeah I agree with your statement.

11. kimsland

kimsland Ex-TechSpotter Posts: 14,524

Um you can't !

This is an old thread, and the item states (in capitals, I quote) THIS ITEM IS CURRENTLY UNAVAILABLE

I don't doubt it. This thread started 11-18-2008

12. Tha General

Tha General TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,106

13. DennisConor

DennisConor TS Rookie

Thanks man for sharing I just bought one for my older desktop

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.