1 long beep 2 short? (award bios)

Status
Not open for further replies.

silverwingz

Ok so ive been here several times over the past 2 or so years with this same issue, and every time I think I have it solved but to no avail. here is the issue:
my computer was working fine one night and in the morning it wouldnt start. I click the power button and everthing sounds fine until Its suppost to give a single beep, but insted it gives me 1 long and 2 short beeps. I have an Award bios, and when I went to check out what this means, it says it:
"Indicates a video error has occurred and the BIOS cannot initialize the video screen to display any additional information"
:confused:
so im not sure what this means other than the video card is bad. the video card is pretty new and before I go any further i guess I should say that the last time this happend, I fixed it by resetting my cpu. and before you say it, yes I have already tried this.

well there is a trick you can do by pulling out the heat sink and taking out the cpu for a little bit, then locking it back in and replacing the heat sink. it was one of the troubleshooting steps that msi told me to do, and it worked for a little while.

well crap if its my video card then I guess I need to send it in...again lol. I had a similar issue with my GeForce 7800GT, the colors used to get all screwed up on the screen, and then the comp would lock up. it got to the point where i couldnt log on and so I sent that in and they gave me back this GeForce 7900GS, which was working fine untill these beep signals started poping up.

someone down the line said that my mobo might be dead, but im not sure that thats possible when ive been using it on and off for the past 2 years. oh well, if anyone else has any suggestions plz post em, any suggestions are welcome

ok so im looking at this other site that says that its a display adapter problem. is it possible that I had 2 video card problems in a row? or could it be a problem with the mobo's PCI-e slot?

I linked it above, ...
2 long 1 short:
"Indicates a video error has occurred and the BIOS cannot initialize the video screen to display any additional information"

Just to shake things up im going to update you guys on whats happening now. so, I was going through my closet and I found stonehenge (my old old OLD computer) and I pulled its Nvidia GeForce 4 out and plugged it in. (keeping in mind its a PCI card not a PCI-e) well so when I plugged it in, im still getting the same beep signal, which leads me to believe that it isnt the pci-e slot and it isnt the video card. soooo now im completely confused. :confused: :confused: :confused:

So now we can check off the cpu, the video card, the ram, the power supply, and im not sure it could be the motherboard (I mean because it worked after the first time this happened. but now im back to the same problem)

anyone have any ideas?
I feel alone here =(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back