TechSpot

1 SATA and 1 IDE HDD both with same OS

By taluks
Jun 6, 2007
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pls help! dont know what to do. I have 1 SATA HDD and 1 IDE HDD with same OS that i want to use. Right now im using the 40G IDE HDD and want to install the 120G SATA HDD. I dont want to remove the OS in SATA HDD my purpose is for back up. Is this possible..pls..pls advise
  2. Tedster

Tedster Techspot old timer..... Posts: 10,074   +13

no. in order to truly copy your info, you will need to clone the ide to the sata, thereby erasing anything on the ide drive.
  3. taluks

taluks TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 23

first, i dont know how to clone ide to sata. also what do you mean by clone? :eek:

I want to use both HDD. My existing HDD is ide and i want to intall the the SATA which i get for free with existing OS (xp pro same with my IDE). I dont want to loose my files and evrything in my IDE and same time and i dont want to loose also the os in sata. Is it possible? Pls help

thanks in advance
  4. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,519   +298

I've read both your posts and am still confused, try to write more intellegently next time.

I *think* you are saying you have an IDE drive now with a running system and you want to add the SATA drive to it, but transfer the OS over to the SATA, then use the IDE for extra storage.

If that is right, then Tedster is correct and your best option is to clone the 40 gig onto the 120. There might even be a utility that came with your hard drive just for this purpose. If not, Maxtor has one in their PowerMax software (free) that should work. Although I don't see why your 40 would have to be erased - then again if its cloned you wouldn't need anything on it anyway since it all got copied to the 120.

Your other option is to run the File and Settings Transfer Wizard on your running system, saving the files it creates somewhere. Then reinstall the OS to the SATA one and run the Wizard to import back the files that were created earlier.

One issue you will likely run in to is your system is going to want to boot from that IDE drive because that is how your BIOS is set up. You will have to change that so it boots off your SATA drive. Depending on what approach you take and your SATA controller you may need drivers for the SATA drive before you can do anything with it.
  5. taluks

im sorry to make you confused and to my poor english

you're correct right now i have a running sytem using IDE drive then I want to install the additional drive and thats SATA drive. This SATA drive already have pre-installed OS.

Now, I want to know if this SATA drive (already have pre-installed OS) can possibly be installed into my running system w/ already existing IDE drive.
  6. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 20,800   +158

7. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,519   +298

How is the OS preinstalled on the SATA? If it is coming from another box it won't work unless the hardware is very similar, and even then it might fail some test next time you go to windows update.
  8. taluks

the sata drive came from another system.
  9. Tmagic650

Use DiscWizard to move the contents from the IDE drive to the SATA drive. Set the IDE drive to primary master and the SATA to SATA for the DiscWizard setup...

You cannot use a drive containing an Operating System from another system. You must clear this drive and start over. Since the IDE drive is from the system you want to use, it's files can be moved to the SATA drive. Then you can set the SATA drive as the boot drive
  10. taluks

thank you for being patient with me, i already download the discwizard and i understand already that i cannot use the SATA drive containing an OS but then how am i going to clear the SATA drive first.
  11. Tmagic650

Seagates DiscWizard will take care of the clearing and the setup. Just make sure you can boot from the IDE drive and see the SATA drive in Windows first.

Download the version that is in your language and read the instructions as they are presented to you...

12. taluks

thanks again..already installed the sata using the discwizard
  13. Tmagic650

So everything is working now? Can you boot from the SATA drive?
  14. taluks

yes evrything is fine now. I think I didnt make the SATA as the boot drive beacause I just make the SATA as a local disk. my purpose is to save all important files in SATA then the OS is in IDE. Im thinking that if anything happen (e.g virus attack) I can easily reformat the IDE and intall OS then I can scan and clean the SATA on a later part.

I dont know if what Im thinking now is right but somehow I know already what to do if anything goes wrong again.

thanks again
  15. Tmagic650

Good luck and what is your native language?
  16. taluks

my native language is tagalog.. just wondering why did you ask..
  17. Tmagic650

Ah,
    the Philippines... I would like to travel to there sometime. Happy Computing!
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.