TechSpot

1 Terabyte Hard Drive?

By hdmk
May 14, 2002
  1. I heard a friend talking about a 1 terabyte HD, only it wasn't for the PC, instead it was part of professional video editing equipment, and costs about £5000.

Now, I think he knows what he's talking about, but 1 terabyte? I mean, HDs are only on about 130Gb for the PC, at the max. Plus I think that this equipment is over 6 months old..so what's going on?

Is it possible to have that much storage?:confused:

2. Rick

Rick TechSpot Staff Posts: 6,305   +52 Staff Member

I know they exist, and have for some time. You have to keep in mind that these hard drives belong to computers that also have 5gb sticks of memory in them.

3. Phantasm66

Phantasm66 TS Rookie Posts: 6,504   +6

What's going on is that there are computers out there which are much more powerful than anything you see or get to use, or (probably) could ever afford. I am talking about machines that are used for more than just sitting in some kid's bedroom playing games and downloading mp3s - that's just the tip of the ice berg....

What I find more amazing than a 1 TB HDD is that you, in this day and age, actually seem to find a TB a lot of data. These days it is not. Not by a long shot.

I have 1/4 TB of HDD space approx, and its very easy to fill this space up. I would welcome a TB of disk space easy now that I have a cable modem internet connection at 512 kbps. Think about what space I will need when I can download whole DVDs instead of Divx rips..... at 7 GB or so a pop my TB will not last long....

Now a pecabyte or something... Now you are getting somewhere.... And certainly an exabyte.... Now you are scaring me. But I fail to find a TB HDD frightening in any shape or form and both hope and expect to be able to buy one some time very soon....

1000 GB is a terabyte.

1000 TB is a pecabyte.

1000 PB is an exabyte.

1000 EB is a zettabyte.

1000 ZB is a yottabyte.

Oh man... a yottabyte.... I don't think there is even a yottabyte of data in existence in the whole world.

1,000,000,000,000,000,000 MB in a yottabyte.

Prizes will be awared to who can find what 1000 yottabytes are....

4. Didou

Didou Bowtie extraordinair! Posts: 5,899

A yottabyte is a ridiculous name chosen by well, hum, the people who choose these names because they thought we would never need to use that name anyways.;)

5. Phantasm66

What happens when hard-drive technology hits its size limit?

6. Phantasm66

The name yotta was chosen because it's the second-to-last last letter of the Latin alphabet and also sounds like the Greek letter iota.

7. Didou

Another funny thing is the word "bit" is often mistaken with "bite" in French ( pronounced the same way as bit ) which means the penis.

You can imagine all the 0.05$ puns we get with people in the first year of Computer Science.:rolleyes:

8. Phantasm66

I could not find out what 1000 yottabytes are but methinks it would be named after Omega, so I think we might have something along the lines of Omebyte.

9. Didou

Or something along the lines of Ridiculobyte.:D

10. Phantasm66

Hehehe very good.

Open your little mind to the possibilities of eternity.

;)

11. Rick

The distributed sharing capacity of the world on KaZaA is about 500 terabytes right now.

I've seen it exceed Terabytes, into the Petabyte range... Just think of how many computers it took to do that though.

12. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,685   +333

Re: Re: 1 Terabyte Hard Drive?

I found something slightly different: From: http://www.computerhope.com/help/hdd.htm
    Bit Value of 0 or 1
    Nibble 4 bits
    Byte 8 bits
    KB(Kilobit) 1,024 bytes
    MB(Megabyte) 1,024 Kilobytes or 1,048,576 Bytes
    GB(Gigabyte) 1,024 Megabytes or 1,073,741, 824 Bytes
    TB(Terabyte) One Trillion bytes or 1,099,511,627,776
    PB (Petabyte) 1,000,000,000,000,000 bytes
    EB(Exabyte) One quintillion bytes or about 1,152,921,504,606,846,976 bytes in decimal.
    ZB (Zetabyte) 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 bytes
    YB (Yottabyte) 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 bytes
    seems the pb and eb are switched

Still have yet to find whats bigger than yotta though.

This page is cool although it doesn't have storage sizes. http://www.iridesnow.com/personal/prime/

After an extensive google search - I have concluded that there is no current name for things larger than a yottabyte as of now. So I think if anyone had the need to say something larger than 1000 yottabytes one would simply say 45,000 yottabytes or something. You would just have to tack multiples of 1,000 on it.

13. PHATMAN5050

PHATMAN5050 TS Rookie Posts: 645

i wonder if anyone has a yottabyte composed of just floppy disks...

that would be 69444444444444444.444444444444444 floppy disks...WOW

14. Rick

Perhaps all of the world's storage devices amassed into a lump sum exceeds a Yottabyte. :eek:

15. Phantasm66

source: http://www.lesk.com/mlesk/ksg97/ksg.html

16. LNCPapa

LNCPapa TS Special Forces Posts: 4,371   +289

17. LNCPapa

LNCPapa TS Special Forces Posts: 4,371   +289

18. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,685   +333

Impressive. What method did you use to get those web pages?

19. Rick

Gummibytes? Come on.. Soon we'll be naming these things "Oreo Bytes" and "Cheesy Bytes".

I dont' think these names will stick, when we get around to using them in the average computer. Can you imagine walking into a store and saying, "I'm looking for a storage orb with 4 chicibytes?"

20. Phantasm66

Well done PAPA! Your prize is an AMD t-shirt which you shall soon be receiving in the post! ;) ;)

Although I find it a little questionable that those last lot are named after the Marx Brothers.... ;) :)

Anyone find anything bigger???

Anyways, I think before we start talking about gummibearbytes and so forth, its likely that the byte itself shall become a meaningless concept.

Always found it very interesting that in the Star Trek series (TNG, DS9, VOY, etc) that they talk about gigaquads, terraquads, etc...

However these are largely sci-fi concepts at the moment.

But a TB HDD is not.

Oh man, Visual Studio .net robbed me of over 2GB!!!! I remember when Visual Studio was like 50 MB or something...

Bring on the TB Hard Drive!!! That's what I say!

I'd like to have instead of hundreds of CDs of videos, mp3s, software and stuff just everything on my hard drive, RAID mirrored to another TB HDD for backup.

21. Didou

Storage is one thing but access speed is another one. If you have to move 100 GB of data at +- 50 mb/s I'd rather keep my 50GB HDD, really.:dead:

22. Phantasm66

New ATA standards underway to allow for the creation of something like a 1 TB IDE hard drive will include MUCH faster transfers with much more bandwidth. Probably looking at something like UDMA1024, etc...

23. Phantasm66

source: http://developers.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=02/05/11/1220216

Much more on the topic here: http://kerneltrap.org/node.php?id=186

24. T-Shirt

T-Shirt TS Rookie Posts: 329

Amazing technology (the 1tb drive) but I would prefer an raid 5 array of smaller drives (faster access, better chance of recovering data when the really big crash comes:mad: )

25. MrGaribaldi

MrGaribaldi TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 2,802

Why not a RAID 5 array of 1tb drives? Now that'd be something to show off :D

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.