1 Terabyte Hard Drive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hdmk

I heard a friend talking about a 1 terabyte HD, only it wasn't for the PC, instead it was part of professional video editing equipment, and costs about £5000.

Now, I think he knows what he's talking about, but 1 terabyte? I mean, HDs are only on about 130Gb for the PC, at the max. Plus I think that this equipment is over 6 months old..so what's going on?

Is it possible to have that much storage?:confused:

I know they exist, and have for some time. You have to keep in mind that these hard drives belong to computers that also have 5gb sticks of memory in them.

Originally posted by hdmk
Plus I think that this equipment is over 6 months old..so what's going on?

What's going on is that there are computers out there which are much more powerful than anything you see or get to use, or (probably) could ever afford. I am talking about machines that are used for more than just sitting in some kid's bedroom playing games and downloading mp3s - that's just the tip of the ice berg....

What I find more amazing than a 1 TB HDD is that you, in this day and age, actually seem to find a TB a lot of data. These days it is not. Not by a long shot.

I have 1/4 TB of HDD space approx, and its very easy to fill this space up. I would welcome a TB of disk space easy now that I have a cable modem internet connection at 512 kbps. Think about what space I will need when I can download whole DVDs instead of Divx rips..... at 7 GB or so a pop my TB will not last long....

Now a pecabyte or something... Now you are getting somewhere.... And certainly an exabyte.... Now you are scaring me. But I fail to find a TB HDD frightening in any shape or form and both hope and expect to be able to buy one some time very soon....

1000 GB is a terabyte.

1000 TB is a pecabyte.

1000 PB is an exabyte.

1000 EB is a zettabyte.

1000 ZB is a yottabyte.

Oh man... a yottabyte.... I don't think there is even a yottabyte of data in existence in the whole world.

1,000,000,000,000,000,000 MB in a yottabyte.

Prizes will be awared to who can find what 1000 yottabytes are....

A yottabyte is a ridiculous name chosen by well, hum, the people who choose these names because they thought we would never need to use that name anyways.;)

What happens when hard-drive technology hits its size limit?

What happens when hard-drive technology hits its size limit?

Nowadays, new desktop PCs typically come with 20GB to 40GB of hard drive space. That's plenty for most people today. But the increasing popularity of digital sound and video is likely to make storage needs grow.

Most desktop PCs use IDE (Integrated Drive Electronics) disks that follow the ANSI T13 committee's AT Attachment (ATA) spec. The latest version of ATA specifies a maximum of 28 bits for addressing the logical blocks of the cylinders, heads, and sectors that make up the organizational hierarchy of a hard drive. That's 228 sector addresses. Multiply that large number by the 512 bytes in a sector, and you discover that the maximum size for an ATA hard drive is 137GB.

A DRIVE OF 137GB may seem large, but historically, the largest drives have been about six times the size of the average drives sold. That means we're about to come up against the limits of ATA technology.

What will happen when manufacturers hit the limit? Not much. Workarounds have been around for a long time in the form of redundant arrays of inexpensive disks (RAID). If you prefer a single drive, you can already purchase SCSI drives that exceed 137GB.

ATA drive manufacturers are not unaware of the impending capacity ceiling. They've pushed the T13 committee into drafting a new version of the ATA spec, ATA-6, which raises the number of address bits from 28 to 48. That would increase the maximum capacity of an ATA drive to about 144 petabytes

WHAT'S A PETABYTE? Just as a gigabyte is 1,000 megabytes or 1,000,000 kilobytes, a petabyte is 1,000 terabytes, or 1,000,000 gigabytes. That's a lot of bytes. By the way, after petabytes come exabytes (and you wondered where the tape drive company got its name), zettabytes, and yottabytes. A yottabyte is a million billion gigabytes.

Though the standard is not quite final, disk manufacturers are poised to turn out products that comply with it when the time comes. You can expect to see ATA-6 hard drives on the market by the end of the year.

A capacity limit of 144 petabytes ought to be enough to satisfy hard drive makers for a good long time. Unfortunately, it won't be the last disk bottleneck. Because most modern operating systems, including all flavors of Windows through Windows XP, use 32-bit addressing, they won't be able to address more than 232 bytes, or 2.2 terabytes, of storage on a single disk, even though a disk itself may be capable of storing more than that. While that number sounds outrageously high now, remember that just three years ago an 8GB drive was a massive unit. It should be interesting to see the state of storage in 2004.

Originally posted by Didou
A yottabyte is a ridiculous name chosen by well, hum, the people who choose these names because they though we would never need to use that name anyways.;)

The name yotta was chosen because it's the second-to-last last letter of the Latin alphabet and also sounds like the Greek letter iota.

Another funny thing is the word "bit" is often mistaken with "bite" in French ( pronounced the same way as bit ) which means the penis.

You can imagine all the 0.05$ puns we get with people in the first year of Computer Science.:rolleyes:

I could not find out what 1000 yottabytes are but methinks it would be named after Omega, so I think we might have something along the lines of Omebyte.

The distributed sharing capacity of the world on KaZaA is about 500 terabytes right now.

I've seen it exceed Terabytes, into the Petabyte range... Just think of how many computers it took to do that though.

Re: Re: 1 Terabyte Hard Drive?

Originally posted by Phantasm66
1000 GB is a terabyte.

1000 TB is a pecabyte.

1000 PB is an exabyte.

1000 EB is a zettabyte.

1000 ZB is a yottabyte.
I found something slightly different: From: http://www.computerhope.com/help/hdd.htm
Bit Value of 0 or 1
Nibble 4 bits
Byte 8 bits
KB(Kilobit) 1,024 bytes
MB(Megabyte) 1,024 Kilobytes or 1,048,576 Bytes
GB(Gigabyte) 1,024 Megabytes or 1,073,741, 824 Bytes
TB(Terabyte) One Trillion bytes or 1,099,511,627,776
PB (Petabyte) 1,000,000,000,000,000 bytes
EB(Exabyte) One quintillion bytes or about 1,152,921,504,606,846,976 bytes in decimal.
ZB (Zetabyte) 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 bytes
YB (Yottabyte) 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 bytes
seems the pb and eb are switched

Still have yet to find whats bigger than yotta though.

This page is cool although it doesn't have storage sizes. http://www.iridesnow.com/personal/prime/

After an extensive google search - I have concluded that there is no current name for things larger than a yottabyte as of now. So I think if anyone had the need to say something larger than 1000 yottabytes one would simply say 45,000 yottabytes or something. You would just have to tack multiples of 1,000 on it.

i wonder if anyone has a yottabyte composed of just floppy disks...

that would be 69444444444444444.444444444444444 floppy disks...WOW

Originally posted by PHATMAN5050
i wonder if anyone has a yottabyte composed of just floppy disks...

that would be 69444444444444444.444444444444444 floppy disks...WOW

Perhaps all of the world's storage devices amassed into a lump sum exceeds a Yottabyte. :eek:

How Much Information Is There In the World?

by Michael Lesk

How much information is there in the world? This paper makes various estimates and compares the answers with the estimates of disk and tape sales, and size of all human memory. There may be a few thousand petabytes [*] of information all told; and the production of tape and disk will reach that level by the year 2000. So in only a few years, (a) we will be able save everything \- no information will have to be thrown out, and (b) the typical piece of information will never be looked at by a human being.

source: http://www.lesk.com/mlesk/ksg97/ksg.html

Gummibytes? Come on.. Soon we'll be naming these things "Oreo Bytes" and "Cheesy Bytes".

I dont' think these names will stick, when we get around to using them in the average computer. Can you imagine walking into a store and saying, "I'm looking for a storage orb with 4 chicibytes?"

Well done PAPA! Your prize is an AMD t-shirt which you shall soon be receiving in the post! ;) ;)

Although I find it a little questionable that those last lot are named after the Marx Brothers.... ;) :)

Anyone find anything bigger???

Anyways, I think before we start talking about gummibearbytes and so forth, its likely that the byte itself shall become a meaningless concept.

Always found it very interesting that in the Star Trek series (TNG, DS9, VOY, etc) that they talk about gigaquads, terraquads, etc...

However these are largely sci-fi concepts at the moment.

But a TB HDD is not.

Oh man, Visual Studio .net robbed me of over 2GB!!!! I remember when Visual Studio was like 50 MB or something...

Bring on the TB Hard Drive!!! That's what I say!

I'd like to have instead of hundreds of CDs of videos, mp3s, software and stuff just everything on my hard drive, RAID mirrored to another TB HDD for backup.

Storage is one thing but access speed is another one. If you have to move 100 GB of data at +- 50 mb/s I'd rather keep my 50GB HDD, really.:dead:

New ATA standards underway to allow for the creation of something like a 1 TB IDE hard drive will include MUCH faster transfers with much more bandwidth. Probably looking at something like UDMA1024, etc...

Reaching Beyond Two-Terabyte Filesystems

Jeremy Andrews writes: "Peter Chubb posted a patch to the lkml, with which he's now managed to mount a 15 terabyte file (using JFS and the loopback device). Without the patch, Peter explains, "Linux is limited to 2TB filesystems even on 64-bit systems, because there are various places where the block offset on disc are assigned to unsigned or int 32-bit variables." Peter works on the Gelato project in Australia. His efforts include cleaning up Linux's large filesystem support, removing 32-bit filesystem limitations. When I asked him about the new 64-bit filesystem limits, he offered a comprehensive answer and this interesting link. The full thread can be found here on KernelTrap. Reaching beyond terabytes, beyond pentabytes, on into exabytes. I feel this sudden discontent with my meager 60 gigabyte hard drive..."

source: http://developers.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=02/05/11/1220216

Much more on the topic here: http://kerneltrap.org/node.php?id=186

Originally posted by Phantasm66
New ATA standards underway to allow for the creation of something like a 1 TB IDE hard drive will include MUCH faster transfers with much more bandwidth. Probably looking at something like UDMA1024, etc...

Amazing technology (the 1tb drive) but I would prefer an raid 5 array of smaller drives (faster access, better chance of recovering data when the really big crash comes:mad: )

Originally posted by T-Shirt
Amazing technology (the 1tb drive) but I would prefer an raid 5 array of smaller drives (faster access, better chance of recovering data when the really big crash comes:mad: )

Why not a RAID 5 array of 1tb drives? Now that'd be something to show off :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back