10 PC Games You Should Check Out These Holidays

Julio Franco

Staff member
Read the full article at:
[newwindow=https://www.techspot.com/article/739-hot-pc-games-2013-holidays/]https://www.techspot.com/article/739-hot-pc-games-2013-holidays/[/newwindow]

Please leave your feedback here.

The only one in this list I would personally recommend is Path of Exile. I suppose perhaps Battlefield 4 if you are desperate enough for a decent FPS. I do like Telltale Games however, but I have yet to try that particular game.

Path of Exile should be the game of the year! Everyone who thoroughly enjoyed Diablo 2 should check it out. Whether you were disappointed by Diablo 3, or actually enjoyed it, you should check out Path of Exile as well. It's free to play, but NOT pay to win, so you have nothing to lose (except bandwidth and time). :p

None of those games interest me. I will keep playing my 10+ year old games cos I'm so cool :p

Path of Exiles concept is good, gameplay is good, story-wise is good... but the graphics is below Torchlight One or Van Helsing.. its just a turn-off to me.

Only 2 of those games interest me. Batman & AC4 but I'm very wary of dropping money on AC now after the abortion AC3 was.

Poor selection of games, with the exception being Path of Exile, which I recommend.

This shows how bad the game industry is.

Please, let 2014 come and bring fresh and good games.

Title "10 PC games you should check out this holiday"

3. "Call of Duty: Ghosts

Probably should put a warning on that "if you've played CoD MW2 or above, you've already played this."
How much did they pay you to put up this list? All those games out at the moment why would anyone in their right mind promote CoD: G unless you are already a CoD fan of which you do not need to remind those folk that the new one is out (because they kinda know already).

It is a bad list though, I'm not really fan of Diablo type games so I can't talk for Path of Excile but Wolf Among Us was very good, in that list it is probably the only one I could rate as a decent game, Battlefield 4 comes close second as a "good" game, it will be excellent given time to be fixed, and in last place is bloody CoD: G a franchise which is killing itself over time.

Path of Exile has me hooked. Watch out for nasty Desync issue though. It takes away from the over all experience. The skill tree and bartering takes getting used to, so new players may be overwhelmed. Awesome community though. Indie game of the year for me and FREE!

I enjoyed Shadow Warrior and Outlast recently. I believe they're both under $20. You should wait until a Steam Sale and check them out. I'm playing through Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs right now and it's pretty boring - I'm shocked how it's not nearly as good as the first Amnesia, especially since it's by the developers of Dear Esther. Sigh*

I have Battlefield 4 and Call of Duty ghosts. Combine that with league of legends and the result is a very busy holiday,....

There are plenty of PC exclusives. Regardless, it's not just the exclusives that people pay for the PC for, it's the improved graphics, the better control options, the mods, the wider selection of indie games, the 20 years of backwards compatibility, and so on.

NFS Rivals seems to be just Skinned Hot Pursuit 2010. Like NFS Run, it would be locked to 30fps. PC gamers will beg EA to release a patch which removes 30fps limit.

The Wolf Among Us is actually the best game of the lot. I felt it was half as long as it should have been but it could easily be game of the year. If you want a excellent neo-noir game with appropriate music, plot, and tone, this is your game.

The one flaw is that the game is only replayable about 2 or 3 times unless you are a rabid completionist.

Can't recommend Baldur's Gate. I was excited to see it in the new HD version, but I think this game is proof that you just can't go back sometimes - keep your memories for when it was a classic back in the day.

All in all, a pretty weak holiday lineup, I'd say. Especially after 2012 releases like Borderlands 2, Darksiders II, Diablo III, Dishonored, Far Cry 3, Mass Effect 3, Max Payne 3, etc.

@ dennis777 : You prefer cartoony Torchlight and Diablo 3 graphics? I prefer more realistic graphics like Path of Exile. I agree the graphics are not top notch, especially since the game was not designed to be zoomed in, so when you zoom in the graphics are awful. However, at least they're not cartoony vomit inducing World of Warcraft graphics.

Oh and I think I will buy Rocksmith 2014, I bought a guitar a year ago with intention to learn...

Path of Exiles concept is good, gameplay is good, story-wise is good... but the graphics is below Torchlight One or Van Helsing.. its just a turn-off to me.
This is not true. Starting wonder if you played the game or maybe a very early build. It has a more realistic art style, I can agree that not everyone will like the look, but the graphics are much better than TL1&2 and at least on par with D3 (looks better if you ask me).
It's no Crysis or BF4, but still a good looking game with awesome gameplay.

Interesting list, but nothing wows me this go-round. I've been finding that my shooters and dungeon crawlers just sit and gather virtual dust lately... Guess I'm in more of a build/creative mood of late, so the early release of Space Engineers has been my time sink recently...

Two things. BF4 at its current state deserves no recommendation. internal memo leaked last week showed that EA rushed the release to beat COD Ghost, as a result, they did little to no QA at all. their most recent so called server update have made it even more impossible to stay in a game without constant crashes and blue screen. it deserves no commendation. these guys are shady beyond a doubt. to top it off. many folks who pre-ordered the game under the advertised "Premium expansion pack" were given no explanation that their so called premium expansion pack did not mean "premium account" but rather just one lousy map pack called China Rising. had they just called it "china rising" by itself it wouldn't be a problem. but consider the history of the franchise, the word premium was typically associated with all the upcoming DLC, they made no attempt to explain the newly differentiated changes during the promotional pre-order period, no asteric, hyperlink, or disclaimer on the pre-order page. countless websites, forums, and gamers out there pre-ordered the game under the assumption that it came with premium account, only to be disappointed and asking where their premium account was. EA later quietly changed the wording of their promotion from "plus premium expansion pack" to "plus China Rising expansion pack" towards the final release date. but countless users who pre-ordered it under the false pretense are still asking where the bonus premium account was.

secondly, after trying out the last Assassin's creed III, I am a bit cautious on trying this fourth one. consider the problematic engine optimization. the amount of draw calls that's used on the CPU is ridiculous. users with decent quad core rigs see only 30~40% GPU utilization through the game, with the exception of most modern high end quad core i7 rigs.

I just thought that these are the cautionary tales that users should be made aware of going into this holiday shopping season, so one won't be disappointed.

Why does in Call of Duty's quick segment "Multiplayer seems like it has received more than a marginal update too, with the ability to lean and slide, dynamic environments (earthquakes, floods etc.) and player-driven events, as well as new game modes, maps, weapons and other gear." Sounds exactly like Battle field 4?

Back