100% CUP usage..... HELP PLZ!

By devilx
Sep 9, 2005
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. im running winxp pro and it used to run fine but i recently moved and when i plugged everything back in and turned it on it would freeze during the winxp startup screen with the blue bar.... so i reinstalled winxp + s2 and it boots up now but the cup usage is at 100%.... most of the processes seem to be normal.... im stumped..plz help...
  2. harrisdurrani

harrisdurrani TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 257

bring up the Task manager click on processes and than click on the cpu icon and see which program is causing the 100 CPU usage and turn that program off
  3. devilx

devilx Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

thx for the reply... where's the cpu icon?
  4. devilx

devilx Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

ok...scratch that prev post...i foundt he cpu icon and the "image" that is taking most cpu...(fluctuates between 70 and 90) is System.... and i cant end that process....help....
  5. Samstoned

Samstoned TechSpot Paladin Posts: 2,582

check see if it is service that got smoked ,bad registery linkage
    look under services that match the program hogging cpu can maybe stop that service
    go to start ,settings ,control panel,admin tools,services
  6. gabby

gabby Newcomer, in training

i have reformatted the HDD and is now loaded with winXP-SP2,but the cpu usage reads 100% every time i try to open a program,also the bootup is slow
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.