TechSpot

10k rpm sata drive

By amazon_sephy
Dec 21, 2003
  1. Hi,

If i were to use a sata to pata cable and connect the raptor 10k rpm harddrive would that actually work? and would the nice speed boost help?? Any insight on this would be helpful, thx.

2. Nodsu

Nodsu TS Rookie Posts: 5,837   +6

I doubt they would make SATA to PATA adapters if they didn't work.

As for the "nice speed boost" proving to be helpful - your mileage may vary. What are you trying to improve?

3. amazon_sephy

amazon_sephy TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 83

Well, i guess i didnt write that very well, uh, i should have asked-are there cables that convert sata to pata? and, for improvements, looking for faster loading times all around, esp in games.

4. Nodsu

Hm. I think there actually aren't any adapters that would let you plug a SATA drive into a PATA controller. You'd have to buy a separate SATA scontroller for your new drive. Then again, if you are buying controllers you might as well go for a SCSI controller and HD.

The performance increase you would get from a new drive depends on how old/slow your current drive is and what exactly are you doing with it.

You can get a much bigger performance boost by making better use of your old drive. Do a proper cleanup on the drive and defragment it completely (using a proper deragmenter not the silly Windows builtin). Perhaps repartition the drive.

5. amazon_sephy

amazon_sephy TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 83

alright, ill do those and see if im happy, which defrager would you recomend i use?

6. Nodsu

Anything that supports NTFS?

I haven't really used anything but Speed Disk that comes with Norton SystemWorks/Utilities.

A good idea is to disable the pagefile and set the defragmenter to run before Windows starts. Then reboot.

7. Per Hansson

Per Hansson TS Server Guru Posts: 1,929   +186

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.