TechSpot

120gb HDD, 6gb used space, yet there is no "Unallocated space"

By gilleran
Jun 27, 2005
  1. Hi my title really has all i have to say in it, other than that how do i partition my HDD, my current HDD is NFTS or something like that,

Cheers, Liam

2. Rik

Rik Banned Posts: 4,985

You need to right click on "my computer", select manage then storage, then disk management and have a look there.

3. gilleran

gilleran TS Rookie Topic Starter

i have, it just has one large block for my hdd, it has no black block, but it says there is 114gb free space im only using 4% of the hdd.

4. Rik

Is there anything on the 6 gig partition? If not delete the volume then re partition and tell it to use all available space.

5. Rik

Just had a thought, is the partition 6gig or 6.3gig, its important which it is as if its 6.3 then it could be your bios that is causing the problem. Have a look in it to see if u can auto detect the drive.

6. gilleran

there is one single block, and that is the c:/ that whole block is 120gig

7. Didou

Didou Bowtie extraordinair! Posts: 5,899

There is no unallocated space because you've created a 120GB partition (of which you are using 6GB). Do a proper partioning of your HDD before you go complaining.

READ : Radified Partitioning Strategies....

8. gilleran

i bought my computer like this!

9. Didou

Didou Bowtie extraordinair! Posts: 5,899

Then download one of the following partition editors, search for documentation on how to use them & resize the partition(s) on your hard drive.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.