128 w/ CL3 or 64 w/ CL2

Status
Not open for further replies.

dusthazard

Hey, I haven't posted here I like ages, but, I need help. :D

Well, I'm attempting to upgrade my girlfriend's family's computer and I need some advice for what I might encounter.

Right now, they have 64 megs of PC100 RAM right now. I'm not certain of their CL so I'm just going to assume they have 2. Now, they either have 2 32MB SDRAMS or 1 64MB SDRAM and I'm not sure on the number of DIMMS. I'm assuming they have at least two, that would seem normal. But, I either want to take out a 32MB DIMM CL=2/3 and put in a 64MB DIMM CL=3 OR JUST put in a 64MB DIMM CL=3.

Ok, now that the ramblings done, I guess the basic question would be what is better? More ram or better CAS LATENCY?

This RAM CAS L. stuff has got me REALLY confused. :confused:

I don't want to go and do something "bad" to their computer, that'll make me look bad. ;)

Thanks for the advice!
DH

Definently more RAM unless that comp is running DOS :p.
Even if you have memory with CAS latency of 10, the swap file will be _much_ slower and the speed difference between CAS2 and CAS3 memory is less than 10% on average.

More RAM definitely. If her BIOS allows it and her memory is good enough to permit, you may be able to even make that 128mb run at CL2 with no problems.

Just because is it CAS3, doesn't mean it won't run at CAS2.

The difference between the two is very little though. For general usage, it really isn't important in my opinion. It does make a slight difference for gamers though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back