TechSpot

+12v Problem

By Goxy
Apr 26, 2004
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hi everyone.

I've got a P4 motherboard, Asus P4S8X-X. Two days ago, out of the blue, without any tinkering with the hardware, the computer started making a strange siren-like noise and I was instructed to look under "hardware monitoring" for a problem.

All the readings were fine, except for the +12v reading which stood at 0.19v. So my first idea was that the power supply went bust. I had a 300W one and I went and bought a new 450W supply but it did not help. My 12v reading is still non-existent. So I guess it isn't the power supply. I don't think its the fan either because I tested that too.

So now I'm beginning to suspect it's the motherboard that is messed up. I don't have any more ideas as to how to approach this problem.

Could anyone help? Should I try and fix this problem or is it really just a question of going out and buying a new motherboard?

I've had the same configuration for almost a year,
    p4 2.6 cpu, ati radeon 9600pro, 512 ddr ram... and everything was fine.

I really haven't got a clue as to what I should do... I think something is up with the sound too coz the speakers aren't working... The sound is onboard.

Thanks
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.