1394 firewire connection

By Clyde
Oct 15, 2008
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hello,
    I am having difficulty routing the connection for my JVC camcorder thru the IEEE 1394 firewire to my XP. I can't get my video soft ware to recognize the camcorder connection.
    I think it might be that might be in the registry settings but not sure. There is no driver per se for this camcorder according to JVC support.
  2. Ididmyc600

Ididmyc600 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,251

Hi

does your software support firewire connections?

Does your camcorder allow it to be connected via firewire for the purpose of transferring video, some only connect to allow the copying of pictures.

Firewire is plug and play, have you got the camcorder set correctly, read the manual
  3. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 13,040   +223

power off the system, cable the device using FW, then boot the system and let
    autoconfig do the work
  4. Clyde

Clyde Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

The Pinnacle software does support a firewire connection and I've tried connecting the video cam via the firewire and rebooting. So far, the computer does not recognize the cam.
    I've previously used both the software and the cam on my old Windows 98 computer. The software can be used on XP as well.
  5. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 13,040   +223

retry the same cable, boot sequence using USB 2.0

You need a driver for both in any case and any connection is better than none.

Personally, while I liked Pinnacle, history has shown issues in staying current with
    drivers per system (98,2k, Xp, Vista).

If your Pinnacle software has a running services, set that to disable before you
    shutdown to allow Windows to attempt the configuration.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.