15 mins to *start* booting!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey

I have a Toshiba M35X-S161 Satellite (don't laugh, only found out about reliability issues after I bought it!), running XP, 512kb RAM, etc, just completely standard. Bought in 2005. I have had no problems with it, until a couple of months ago when it suddenly started taking ages to boot or come out of hibernation. I don't recall this starting after an update or software installation, and tried restoring to an earlier restore point, with no effect.

Basically, the problem is that when I switch on the computer, or open the lid to wake it from hybernation, the fan blows for a couple of seconds, then nothing happens for around 15 minutes. The screen is black and the computer completely silent, as if it is switched off. After 15 minutes it boots or wakes normally. It'll boot up completely in around a minute, or wake fully in a few seconds.

Anyone know what this problem might be?

Cheers

Mark

Try looking at what programs are left running when you attempt to put your laptop to "sleep" or hibernation, and end them before doing so, to see if it makes a difference..

Have a read of this realy good guide on how to speed up your PC. Namely it just asks you to do a warez scan, some diskeeping etc. See how you go, and post if you still have some issues.

Hi

There are quite a few programs running, but none that are new since the problem started, and I've tried closing them all before hibernating, with no effect. This problem also happens when I turn on the computer, but not when restarting.

Mark

How to you disable stop on errors in bios?

Read this thread and am interested in finding out how to disable stop on erros in the bios. I have a jetway 939GT-4-SLI-G with award bios. Board is brand new. Any help you can give me would be great. (have read mobo manual and cannot find place in bios to do this).
thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back