16-bit and Windows Vista

Status
Not open for further replies.

greatman05

Ummmmmmm......Since Windows Vista doesn't support 16-bit programs, and I DO use a LOT of 16-bit programs, why would I want a computer with Windows Vista pre-installed? Do you think that manufacturers will allow consumers to decide whether or not they want to use Windows Vista, especially on laptops?

I personally dual boot with DOS 6.22 even with XP and will continue to do so once I fully upgrade to Vista (currently useing RC2). The Problem is that most manufactures have the HDD as one big partition. This tool allows you to Resize partitions so you can create a seperate one for a 16 bit compatible OS (DOS, Win 9x, etc.). You will likely need to install the 16-bit capible OS first and reinstall vista so it's boot manage recognizes it or use a third party boot manager.

howard_hopkinso said:
In a word no.

Regards Howard :)

Unfortunately that was certain from the start. It would be nice if manufactures would allow you to chose an OS , as well as, other programs to be installed to avoid the crapware on most current systems. But I don't see this happening in the forseeable future.

Well the reality of it is 16 bit programs are far too old and used by such a small percentage of people that it isn't worth anyone's effort to support it. If you NEED to run 16 bit stuff you can likely pick up a Pentium 2 or older system for $5 or free.

SNGX1275 said:
Well the reality of it is 16 bit programs are far too old and used by such a small percentage of people that it isn't worth anyone's effort to support it. If you NEED to run 16 bit stuff you can likely pick up a Pentium 2 or older system for $5 or free.

While that is for the most part true there is an exeption. Installers for many 32-bit programs are oftain only 16-bit. I have seen many 32-bit programs only a few years old and still in use that have 16-bit installers. Without provisions for these 16-bit installers many 32-bit programs will become virtually nonfunctional on newer machines. I'm sure the installers will be updated on newer copies of these programs however this leaves out all of the people who already own copies with the old installers.

The problem is.......I DON"T WANT IT TO BE SLOW AS HELL!!!! Ummmm......can't I just reformat the hard disk and install WinXP like that?

Yep.

Recently, we've had lots of customers come in with Vista on their new laptops and complain that they can't use a certain program like they use to. I've had good experience with installing Microsoft Virtual PC and loading XP to it. Customers love it cause they don't have to worry about dual booting and can run the software without rebooting.

So you're saying........if I were to buy a laptop now, and load it with Win Xp (erasing Vista), it would work?

As I've said before...I DON"T WANNA RUN A VIRTUAL MACHINE!!!

greatman05 said:
The problem is.......I DON"T WANT IT TO BE SLOW AS HELL!!!!
Have you actually tried? Most 16-bit programs should run at more than adequate speed in a VM on a modern computer. Make sure you install the VMware drivers for your guest if applicable.

A LOT OF OLD GAMES (Phantasy Star Online, Red Alert 2, etc.), Legacy apps that sometimes work better (can't think of any right now), etc. Basically, all I am asking is........ If I wanted to, could I just reformat the hard disk on a new laptop or computer and put my own copy of Windows XP on there?

Yes
test.jpg

Depends on the license of your "own" XP or the Vista. If you got your XP with a computer, then you are allowed to use it only on the machine it came with. If you have a box version of XP, then you can install it on anything you like, of course. Some versions of Vista give you the right to use an older version of Windows instead.

It means that if you buy Vista, then the same license may allow you to use Windows XP or Windows 2000 instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back