TechSpot

16-bit and Windows Vista

By greatman05
Feb 13, 2007
  1. Ummmmmmm......Since Windows Vista doesn't support 16-bit programs, and I DO use a LOT of 16-bit programs, why would I want a computer with Windows Vista pre-installed? Do you think that manufacturers will allow consumers to decide whether or not they want to use Windows Vista, especially on laptops?

2. dmill89

dmill89 TS Guru Posts: 475

I personally dual boot with DOS 6.22 even with XP and will continue to do so once I fully upgrade to Vista (currently useing RC2). The Problem is that most manufactures have the HDD as one big partition. This tool allows you to Resize partitions so you can create a seperate one for a 16 bit compatible OS (DOS, Win 9x, etc.). You will likely need to install the 16-bit capible OS first and reinstall vista so it's boot manage recognizes it or use a third party boot manager.

3. howard_hopkinso

howard_hopkinso TS Rookie Posts: 24,177   +19

In a word no.

Regards Howard :)

4. dmill89

Unfortunately that was certain from the start. It would be nice if manufactures would allow you to chose an OS , as well as, other programs to be installed to avoid the crapware on most current systems. But I don't see this happening in the forseeable future.

5. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 10,715   +397

Well the reality of it is 16 bit programs are far too old and used by such a small percentage of people that it isn't worth anyone's effort to support it. If you NEED to run 16 bit stuff you can likely pick up a Pentium 2 or older system for $5 or free.

6. dmill89

While that is for the most part true there is an exeption. Installers for many 32-bit programs are oftain only 16-bit. I have seen many 32-bit programs only a few years old and still in use that have 16-bit installers. Without provisions for these 16-bit installers many 32-bit programs will become virtually nonfunctional on newer machines. I'm sure the installers will be updated on newer copies of these programs however this leaves out all of the people who already own copies with the old installers.

7. SNGX1275

Nobody is forcing you to upgrade.

8. Mictlantecuhtli

Mictlantecuhtli TS Evangelist Posts: 4,345   +11

Virtualization helps if your system is "too new" for old programs.

9. Satertek

Satertek TS Rookie

Yea.

Assuming you need to run DOS programs, you could use DOSBox. Works better than the DOS included with XP as well.

For 16bit Windows apps you could use Virtual PC or VMWare.

10. greatman05

greatman05 TS Maniac Topic Starter Posts: 429

The problem is.......I DON"T WANT IT TO BE SLOW AS HELL!!!! Ummmm......can't I just reformat the hard disk and install WinXP like that?

11. tweaks_sav

tweaks_sav TS Rookie Posts: 186

Yep.

Recently, we've had lots of customers come in with Vista on their new laptops and complain that they can't use a certain program like they use to. I've had good experience with installing Microsoft Virtual PC and loading XP to it. Customers love it cause they don't have to worry about dual booting and can run the software without rebooting.

12. greatman05

So you're saying........if I were to buy a laptop now, and load it with Win Xp (erasing Vista), it would work?

As I've said before...I DON"T WANNA RUN A VIRTUAL MACHINE!!!

13. Nodsu

Nodsu TS Rookie Posts: 5,837   +6

Have you actually tried? Most 16-bit programs should run at more than adequate speed in a VM on a modern computer. Make sure you install the VMware drivers for your guest if applicable.

14. tweaks_sav

tweaks_sav TS Rookie Posts: 186

What 16bit programs are you going to use?

15. greatman05

A LOT OF OLD GAMES (Phantasy Star Online, Red Alert 2, etc.), Legacy apps that sometimes work better (can't think of any right now), etc. Basically, all I am asking is........ If I wanted to, could I just reformat the hard disk on a new laptop or computer and put my own copy of Windows XP on there?

16. SNGX1275

Yes[​IMG]

17. Nodsu

Depends on the license of your "own" XP or the Vista. If you got your XP with a computer, then you are allowed to use it only on the machine it came with. If you have a box version of XP, then you can install it on anything you like, of course. Some versions of Vista give you the right to use an older version of Windows instead.

18. greatman05

What do you mean by "give me the right to"?

19. Nodsu

It means that if you buy Vista, then the same license may allow you to use Windows XP or Windows 2000 instead.

20. greatman05

Why not just format and reinstall Windows XP? (referring to a comp with Vista Preloaded)

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.