TechSpot

16-bit Ms-Dos Error.

By MajehRazurko
Aug 31, 2004
  1. Hey, Can someone please help me with this, I'm sick and tired of the my programs not running on this "better" PC when I cant even play the games i want or run the programs i could on my old on, XP is beginning to bug me. this is what it says.

Close~Ignore

How do i get Stop this??? or fix it. Because Thats not the only program that it will do. it mostly does it to Old school 3-D games, or most of my MS-DOS based Programs. I checked my System and I checked the script, everything seemed fine. What else can I do?????

2. Nodsu

Nodsu TS Rookie Posts: 5,837   +6

Have you modified the autoexec.nt file in any way? How?

3. RealBlackStuff

RealBlackStuff TS Rookie Posts: 6,503

Hu6280, The PC-Engine Emulator for Dos/Windows95.

And you try to run that under XP? No wonder it does not work!

4. dhasdell

dhasdell TS Rookie Posts: 20

autoexec.nt

Like MajehRazurko I keep getting a message on startup, mine being:

16-bit MS-DOS Subsystem
    path to the program that you are trying to start or install
    C:\WINNT\System32\Autoexec.nt The system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose 'Close' to terminate the application.

I'm running Windows 2000 and I have not modified autoexec.nt, although it's only happened since I removed the msblast and mslaugh viruses.
    Any ideas, please?

5. r@ven

r@ven TS Rookie

like the others like me... ;)

Guys i have the same @#E%@$%^ prob!!!!
    I haven`t touched (as far as windows gives me the oportunity to know what changes i`m doing) or changed the AUTOEXEC.NT anyway i can remember but since there is someone here that has the same prob after he cleaned up some viruses maybe the same happened to me and i don`t know it...the message i get with any MS-DOS app is :

---------------------------
    16 bit MS-DOS Subsystem
    C:\DOCUME~1\user\Desktop\blabla.pif
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT. The system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose 'Close' to terminate the application.
    Close Ignore

Can we correct that?

6. HoopaJoop

HoopaJoop TS Rookie Posts: 90

In windows XP, have you tried running the app in application compatibility mode?

Disable visual themes, and turn off advanced text services first. Then try the other options if that doesn't work.

7. r@ven

r@ven TS Rookie

Format

Thnx guys anyhow.
    Yesterday i`ve checked a lot of resources in the net but found nothing really about my prob.But at least i know what is about now!!!Trying to remove a virus from my pc i`ve changed some values in the registry.That was the reason....
    So the best way to fix that was to format my pc, because i tried almost everything before that...

See ya....

8. MarcSparks

MarcSparks TS Rookie

a fix to your problems

Hello all if you are having a error that looks like this "C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT.The System file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows" first check to see if autoexec.nt is there if not you can make one with these lines in it.

I recieve this measage every time I reboot my computer and have to recreate the file.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.