TechSpot

160 Gig Maxtor HD will not show in My Computer

By Dire Marksman
Jun 21, 2008
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I got an old hard drive (Maxtor 160 Gig IDE) from a friend. It works fine however it is password protected and he cannot recall either the password or user name. Normally I would simply reset the CMOS BIOS but the computer I am putting it into is missing its BIOS jumper. I installed it on my other computer (one I'm using currently) as a slave with my DVD Drive as Master on the IDE cable. I have a SATA drive that is currently my master and where I'm booting from.

All I want to do is to be able to format the drive so I can re-install an OS.

The computer recognizes the Hard Drive in the BIOS and was booting from the drive until I changed it in the BIOS. I can find the Drive in the Device Manager and my computer has an up to date driver that should run it just fine.

My computer displays my SATA hard drive and the recover partition. It also displays my disk drive and the remove-able disk drives (SD, Compact Flash).

Any ideas?
  2. kimsland

kimsland Ex-TechSpotter Posts: 18,353

Pull out the Sata Master
    Boot from your Windows CD
    And remove the partition, in the install process (it's all written in there, when trying to setup Windows)

Anyway, this will remove the partition, and format it to NTFS for you (and then it will start the Windows install !!)
  3. Dire Marksman

Dire Marksman Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

Would this same process work with Linux Mint 2.2? I could go into the BIOS after removing my Master SATA and run from the disk drive correct?
  4. kimsland

Actually the Ultimate Boot CD would do.
    Not sure on how the Linux CDs do it exactly, actually I believe TestDisk is the best in that area.
    But there are a number of free bootable CDs out there that can be used
  5. Dire Marksman

Dire Marksman Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

Not yet working, need to find a jump drive to nuke the disk, I have no important files on it so I think that would be best.
  6. kimsland

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.