160 Gig Maxtor HD will not show in My Computer

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got an old hard drive (Maxtor 160 Gig IDE) from a friend. It works fine however it is password protected and he cannot recall either the password or user name. Normally I would simply reset the CMOS BIOS but the computer I am putting it into is missing its BIOS jumper. I installed it on my other computer (one I'm using currently) as a slave with my DVD Drive as Master on the IDE cable. I have a SATA drive that is currently my master and where I'm booting from.

All I want to do is to be able to format the drive so I can re-install an OS.

The computer recognizes the Hard Drive in the BIOS and was booting from the drive until I changed it in the BIOS. I can find the Drive in the Device Manager and my computer has an up to date driver that should run it just fine.

My computer displays my SATA hard drive and the recover partition. It also displays my disk drive and the remove-able disk drives (SD, Compact Flash).

Any ideas?

Pull out the Sata Master
Boot from your Windows CD
And remove the partition, in the install process (it's all written in there, when trying to setup Windows)

Anyway, this will remove the partition, and format it to NTFS for you (and then it will start the Windows install !!)

Would this same process work with Linux Mint 2.2? I could go into the BIOS after removing my Master SATA and run from the disk drive correct?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back