160gb Wd Hdd Sata Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

NMShadey

Hey, my friend has recently purchased a Western Digital 160GB hard drive for his system. The SATA controler is enabled and detects the SATA drive fine. The problem begins when trying to access the drive from within WindowsXP or during WindowsXP Setup.

Firstly the problem from within WindowsXP:
The SATA controller is detected under device manager but has a yellow exclamation on it, and states that
"This device cannot find enough free resources that it can use. ... (Code 12)".

The second problem I am having is trying to install WindowsXP onto this SATA drive. When I boot into Windows setup from the CDROM, i press F6 and and install the SI 3112 driver located on a floppy disk. WIndows setup confirms that it is about to install this driver and proceeds. When windows Setup has loaded, when i press ENTER to begin installation, I am presented with a message saying that no available hard disk drives have been found on the system, therefore Setup cannot continue and quits.

This problem seems to me like some kind of hardware (IRQ) conflict, I have tried disabling almost every device possible and yet I still encounter this problem. IF anyone has any ideas about this problem, it would be much appreciated as this is very frustrating.

System Spec:

RAM: 512MB Corsair CL2.5 PC3200
Motherboard: GA-7VT600-P(L)
CPU: AMD Athlon (Barton) XP2800
HDD: SATA 160GB WDJB
ONBOARD SILICON IMAGE CONTROLLER

Thanks in advance -Shadey

Exact Same Problem

I am having the exact same problem with trying to instal Windows XP Professional. I have a Western Digital 80gb Serial ATA hard drive, and I am only running one. Any help would be highly appreciated.

System Specs
Abit VT7 Motherboard Pentium 4 3.2 ghz
2 gb (1gb stick x 2) of Corsair PC 3200 ddram
80 GB Western Digital Serial ATA HD
On board Serial ATA connections

check motherboard bios
make sure it is setup to boot from the sata controller first
could be a raid controller and the raid may need to be off or set to 0

Similar Problem

I am having a similar problem. Recently i made my own PC. I bought a WD 80 gb SATA. I got the drivers from both the Support CD and the Asus website. When starting instalation of windows xp, i press F6, follow steps and put in my floppy with the drivers on it. It recognizes them, I chose the "Winxp via driver," and it seems ok. After the driver is loaded, Windows Xp still didnt recognize the SATA drive. i was forced to buy a normal IDE hd, which installed windows correctly. I have service pack 2 on there, and even now windows still wont recognize the SATA drive that's connnected. Even the BIOS doesnt see it. I even returned the SATA HD for another one of the same kind, but the problem persists. Anyone have advice?

Thanks

well to first poster,try changing the irq settings
for the drive,sounds like a conflict disable raid
make sure there are no jumper settings for sata 1 and or 2 if there are change to the right settings

MSN says to uninstall drive or interface and reinstall
hoping you are using xp spk2 you may need there fixs
2nd poster try the irq thing to
irq resources can also be found in bios

If you haven't already, try installing ALL of the SATA/RAID drivers on the floppy, whether you think you need them or not. See if that makes any difference.

Hmm. Well i have an ASUS A8V motherboard, and the only thing that's changeable is the IRQ Adress or something. Should I try changing that? And the jumpers I think are fine.

160 gig WD Sata drive not recognized

I have a GA-7vt600 gigabyte mobo that is not recognizing a 160 gig WD sata HD. I verif that the onboard sata in enabled and is sent to ide or raid. I have a Athon XP 1500 processor with 786mb ram. I try removing my regular IDE hDD that is already there and it is still not showing. I installed the CD that has all the drivers for the mobo and the sata drivers are installed but can not be seen in the DM screen. Standard ide hdd can be recognized with no problem. can anyone help. I see that some of you were having the same problems. I even reset the bios and nothing happens. My bios version that I am running is f7.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back