1680 X 1050 not a valid mode for chip set/graphics controller

Status
Not open for further replies.

nparanka

I just bought a beautiful Samsung Synchmaster 226 BW monitor that wants to run at 1680X 1050 (60 hz refresh). My admittedly old (3 years) Dell Inspiron 700m Laptop won't let this come up as a valid choice, and all settings that are available look distorted on the new screen. The chip set in the laptop is Intel 82852/82855 GM/GME. Its drivers are current and the software that came with the monitor didn't seem to be able to overcome the problem. We tried to manually put in the configuration using Powerstrip and couldn't get that to work either.

Does anyone have suggestions? Or is this just a sign that my laptop is getting old...If I can't get it to work, I guess I'll buy a monitor that fits one of the preset dimensions (1400 X 1050 or 1600 X 1200) and hope that works.

Thanks for any suggestions, I wish the people at the store had mentioned this as a potential problem with an older computer.

Nancy

This is from intel for your chipset

The set of basic static display modes (at 60Hz and up to 32bpp colors) include 640x480, 800x600, 1024x768, 1280x1024, and 1600x1200.

Q: I cannot use my display's native resolution (e.g. 1680x1050, 1440x900). How do I resolve this problem?
A: In some cases, the displays EDID is not properly read when connecting to some digital flat panel displays. Intel has released a driver to specifically address this issue for the integrated graphics controller of the Intel® 945 Express Chipsets and later chipsets. Click here to obtain this driver.

Darn, unfortunately my chipset is earlier than the patch you mention, and I was not able to find any other updates for it. Maybe that will help someone else though....

Nancy

Thanks, this is definitely the crux of the matter and the number of suggestions on the Intel list suggests that this is often not an easy fix! I'll go over the list again today and see what I haven't tried yet. I've invested way too much time already on this and have to get some actual work done today.

Nancy

If it's an Intel processor, it's also (best bet) it's an integrated graphics chip. That means you're limited on what resolutions you can crank it up to. 1680X1050 are usually (but not always) reserved for AGP/PCI-e graphics cards. As mentioned above, you may get away with it at 16 bit color, but I sincerely doubt it. Remember, about 90% of laptops weren't made for gaming.

It seems like someone should have a list out there of which processers/graphics cards can support which monitor dimensions. There must be a lot people out there in my shoes. I didn't know there was a limitation and that it wasn't easily fixable. Now I have to drive 2.5 hours to return the monitor and get a different one. I am going to shop for one that uses one of the sizes preset in my graphics card. Frustrating.

nancy

The highest resolution at 32-bit color with my hardware is 1280x1024, 60Hz. I'm running at that resolution now... I'll be traveling to Las Vegas tomorrow to build 2 hi-end $1200+ Vista systems. Both will have dual monitors. I will let you all know how it goes, and I will post all the hardware specs Wish me luck... My Vista (business) experience begins :blush:

Hi mate, exact same laptop and problem here!

Anyway, the 700m CAN output at up to 1920 x 1200... the screwy intel drivers actually show both 1600 x 1200 and 1920 x 1200 in the windows control panel (make sure you've installed the Intel Extreme Graphics for Mobile drivers and control panel.

Now, you will rarely get 1680 x 1050 at bootup and it won't show up in either the windows control panel OR the intel one. If you can bear with the 1600 x 1200 for 10 minutes or so then you are in luck, after approx 10 - 15 mins, 1680 x 1050 shows up as a choice in the Intel control panel, when you select it though DON'T click APPLY... just click OK.

Then try not to switch your laptop off until you really need to :p

I'm still looking at better ways to handle this, will let you know if I solve it. Though Linux doesn't have this problem with the 700m funnily enough!

Scott

If someone still have the problem with the 1680 x 1050 resolution on Intel 82852/82855 GM/GME chipset, you will find working solution here -

w0rst-hardware.blogspot.com/2008/02/make-1680x1050-and-1440x900-resolution.html

End of story...

I hope these tips help someone else.

Just for the record, I returned my 1680 X 1050 monitor months ago (gave up trying to get it to work), and bought a 24 inch 1600 X 1200 Dell monitor since that was one of the "fixed" resolutions that DID show up as a choice on my laptop. It has been working just fine for me. Thanks to everyone who helped.

Nancy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back