TechSpot

16mb VS 8mb cache

By ldd
Nov 11, 2006
  1. Hi everyone!

I'm looking to buy a new hard drive for my computer and was just wondering if there's any real advantage to buying one with 16mb cache vs 8mb. I've been told 16mb cache makes the drive access info faster, is that the only difference? Is it worth spending more money for 16mb? Especially considering that I'm basically computer illiterate anyway.

Thanx in advance :)

2. Nodsu

Nodsu TS Rookie Posts: 5,837   +6

The disk cache size is totally irrelevant. Seek time and sustained throughput are the characteristics you have to look at.

3. ldd

ldd TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 50

Ok, thanx :)

Now this is going to sound very stupid to you...but how do I check those?

4. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 17,244   +234

5. Nodsu

Nodsu TS Rookie Posts: 5,837   +6

Manufacturers usually quote the average seek time in the drive specifications and it is a pretty good measure of the actual disk performance in everyday use.

You have to dig deep into the spec sheets or find some benchmarks for throughput. They don't want to tell you the real numbers because these are so much less than the marketing BS you see :)

6. ldd

ldd TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 50

Thanks for the input guys, much appreciated :)

7. tipstir

tipstir TS Ambassador Posts: 2,393   +107

That extra 8MB cache is good for media recording otherwise 8MB or 2MB cache is good enough.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.