1782-Disk Controller Failure (Compaq Deskpro)

Status
Not open for further replies.

acidosmosis

Compaq Deskpro with the error 1782-Disk Controller Failure (during POST). I looked this up and it is apparently (usually) a false error with these systems. Two boot disks are available from HP's website that supposedly fixes the problem.

I haven't spent too much time on this because I've had higher priority jobs to do at work today, but heres the real issue. The A: drive is set to be the first boot option, but it looks to me like this error comes up before any boot options even take place and nothing else happens in the POST process. You can enter CMOS by pressing F10 while this error is on the screen but, still the system isn't even attempting to boot to anything after it shows the error message.

May or not be an obvious solution to this, but I don't feel like messing with it today, it's a low priority job, so I thought I'd post this incase it's not an easy solution :p. Anyway, if anyone has any thoughts. Fire away.

Edit: May look tomorrow for a BIOS update and do that, if there is one available.

RealBlackStuff said:
I've had a few of those Compaqs pass by me, that error usually means its either a loose or a faulty IDE-cable.

Worth checking out. I noticed it did somehow know the size of the hard drive though, which is sort of odd to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back