19" inch monitor, which make?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arris

I have recently been considering replacing my non branded 17" monitor with a flat screen (not tft) 19" monitor and one of the best deals I have seen online in the UK is the 19" VM Pro 454 from Iiyama. Looks like a good deal but I have read a few review sites that say CTX, LG and Hitachi are better displays. I have seen a few Iiyama monitors and they look like good displays, just wondering what users experiences are of them...

From www.dabs.co.uk :
VM Pro 454 19" CRT
Mfr code: HM903DT
Quicklinx: 1689WS
Ordered Upon Request £289.00
With Tax £339.57

My experience of Iiyama is good, but you should always ask for a demo of the various monitors in the store, especially if you are parting with that kind of cash.

Unfortunately the best computer store in Aberdeen seems to be PCWorld. I spent about 40 minutes attempting to get a demo of a 19" Samsung flat screen monitor yesterday but decided that the Iiyama was worth the extra £100 over the £250 that I could have purchased the Samsung for. I don't think there is an Iiyama dealer in Aberdeen so I can't really try out the monitors before buying unless I get a cheap one from one of the dodgy little computer shops or one of the limited range that PCWorld stock.

Amusingly though PCWorld did let me try out a couple of monitors, so I tried all the different resolutions, frequencies etc.
I hope their cheap monitors are alright as they were all connected to a monitor switch and running from the same PC, so trying to get a cheap 15" monitor to run 1024 at @ 85Hz might have been a bit dangerous to the monitor.

Very satisfied of my Iyama vision master pro 452. It is expensive, but it's the best money can get!

Originally posted by Arris
I have recently been considering replacing my non branded 17" monitor with a flat screen (not tft) 19" monitor

Whats wrong with TFT?

A display screen made with TFT (thin-film transistor) technology is a liquid crystal display (LCD), common in notebook and laptop computers, that has a transistor for each pixel (that is, for each of the tiny elements that control the illumination of your display). Having a transistor at each pixel means that the current that triggers pixel illumination can be smaller and therefore can be switched on and off more quickly.

TFT is also known as active matrix display technology (and contrasts with "passive matrix" which does not have a transistor at each pixel). A TFT or active matrix display is more responsive to change. For example, when you move your mouse across the screen, a TFT display is fast enough to reflect the movement of the mouse cursor. (With a passive matrix display, the cursor temporarily disappears until the display can "catch up.")

A more recent development is organic thin-film transistor technology, which makes it possible to have flexible display surfaces.

Dunno what's wrong with TFT as long as you have an active one. Best of course is a Plasma screen :D.

I would have to go with LG if I was going to buy a 19" and I wanted to keep it reasonably priced. I have been selling LG's for years and they are great. I prefer my 18" LCD Viewsonic but if I had to go back to CRT, LG would be my choice.

BTW, I have owned Sony and Mitsubishi screens is the past and they are awesome. They are very expensive though..

yes, Sony monitors are awesome...
and so is their price :p

another Sci-Fi looking gadget from Apple :D :
indextop01072002.jpg

indexscreenanim01072002.gif

"The Death Of CRT"

don't you just love stuff like this ;) :
topleft2_acd22.jpg

Apple Cinema Display gimme gimme gimme!!!

Re: Re: 19" inch monitor, which make?

Originally posted by PanicX

Whats wrong with TFT?

Screen size to cost ratio is horrendous.
I work on a laptop constantly and know that if you play any games the ghosting effect can be a bit annoying. I still think a good quality CRT gives a nicer picture overall than TFT. Cad work and general computer usage is fine on TFT though. If I wasn't a gamer I would seriously consider it as it would give me more space to put rubbish on my desk ;)

I ended up getting a Samsung 957DF 19" DynaFlat (flat screen) monitor. It cost me £250, I am selling my old 17" unbranded to a mate for £50, so overall its working out not too badly. My monitor manages 2048 resolution at something around 60Hz, which means its overall performance isn't as stunning as the Iiyama that I quoted before but at about £100 cheaper I am not complaining. This monitor uses Shadow mask instead of Aperture grille but its still damn nice to have a reflection free flat 19" screen.

Phew!

I am glad a few members have related good stories about Samsung monitors as I hadn't read all that much about them when I make this rash purchase. Thanks guys ;)

Actually guys, i just bought a samsung monitor 2 days ago. I bought the Samsung SyncMaster 955df which has a.20mm superfine horizontal pitch and a .24mm dot pitch. Its a dynaflat monitor which means that the screen is totally flat, but its not an LCD screen where there is no depth to the box of the monitor, it looks like any other old monitor until you turn it on. The picture is noticibly clearer than any other computer i've worked on. This monitor was bought for $299 american, i'm not quite sure how much it would be for those of you not buying from american suppliers.

Phatman that is a good thing to hear, i believe that monitor had the right price and the quality must be great :)

VIEW SONIC

Get a View Sonic;) There great,clear,and good cost-price ratio. I've got a 19 inch flat, its wounderful. 100% NON BLUR,CRYSTAL CLEAR text. HIGHLY REC!:grinthumb

the dot pitch is so low it's amazing, :) i only have a 15" samsung syncmaster 500s and the dot pitch must be huge... darn!!!

3dFx is not good!(4 gaming)

3dFx is not good for gamming. There only good for video editing,etc. Voodoo5 VS Geforce2: OK>GeF2! :eek: You should have 17 inch least 4 gamming, 15=to big dot pitch.:(

*edited by moderator

Re: 3dFx is not good!(4 gaming)

Originally posted by ---agissi---
3dFx is not good for gamming. There only good for video editing,etc. Voodoo5 VS Geforce2: OK>GeF2! :eek: You should have 17 inch least 4 gamming, 15=to big dot pitch.:(

*edited by moderator

i agree that a 15" monitor is kinda small for gaming but whats up with the Voodoo 5 bashing?

Voodoo

The Voodoos really arnt all that great for gamming. Your better with Nvidia or ATI. Im not dissing 3DFX, I mean, there a great comp.and their cards are superb for rendering video and such, but not so much for games. Why have dual GPUs? Its not worth it(ie why some <new> Gf2 didnt have one or the GF3 dont have them). Thats more for rendering and such,think about it, would games even be able to use the Dual GPUs, or could the card take care of it?;) Just think you'd be way better of with nVidia or ATI for gamming...:rolleyes: /:blush:
I luv the faces:
:puke: LOL!
:hotouch: <HOT-TOUCH>

I picked myself up a sweet 19" Envision at Fry's here in the States. Cost me only 120 USD after the rebate. It's like the cheapest 19" that I've ever seen, but hey I'd take it over a little 15" $500 flat screen anyday.

I have a Sony 19 monitor and I would recommend it to anyone. Iva had it for a few years now and its still like new. The Sony monitors have very conservative brightness options to ensure youll never need to up the brightness and contrast to 100/100.
Sony monitors own :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back