1gb Memory Detected as 512mb

Status
Not open for further replies.

weslstan

Hello,

I just wanted to get this last problem out of the way...

So I had 1gb of ram and I bought another 1GB from ebay, here is the listing...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....MEWN:IT&viewitem=&item=190128085945&rd=1&rd=1

So I put it in my pc, started it up and Its only displaying as 512mb, so 1.5gb in total.

I dont know why this could be but the stick itself was slightly smaller than the 3 others I have.
It says 1.5gb in CCleaner and also when I look in the properties in My Computer but in windows task manager it displays as 2155M

This is my spec:

Advent T11
Intel Pentium 4 HT Processor 550 3.4ghz
1.5gb (ment to be 2gb) DDR PC3200 Memory
Nvidia Geforce 6600

Any ideas?

Does it show 512 when u only put that one memory chip in the system? Does the machine have 3 or 4 ram slots?

It has 4 slots and yeah It just shows 512

But it is a slightly smaller stick than the others, can you tell by looking at the ebay listing whether its any different than what my pc should have?

Thanks.

From the link to ebay:

"With incompatible motherboards, this ram may read as 512MB or may not read at all"

mickzer

Your Advent T11's motherboard is an MSI MS-7046 and it is designed to take 184-pin DDR PC3200 up to 4 gigs. See this link:

http://www.memoryx.net/msimsmome80.html

I wonder if the issue is because it is high density or if you have your memory in the correct slots. How do you have your memory configured?

Well at the moment I Have 1x 512mb, 2x 256mb and then finally this 1gb in the final slot.

Is that what you mean by configured?

Try the 1Gb stick in all 4 slots just to see if it will see it as 1Gb. Maybe the biggest stick has to be in a certain slot. Worth trying, anyway!!!

mickzer.

weslstan said:
Well at the moment I Have 1x 512mb, 2x 256mb and then finally this 1gb in the final slot.

Is that what you mean by configured?

Yes, this is exactly what I mean. Your issue may very well be your configuration and not the RAM itself. Do you have your motherboard Manual? It will tell you the proper Memory configuration. Try just the 1 Gig stick and do what mickzer suggests.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back