1st Time Building Amd Pc- No Video

Status
Not open for further replies.
Building new pc for demo for my business and decided to see what AMD has to show me. So far, not impressed. Utilizing AMD Athlon 64 3200+ Processor s939 Venice 2.0 GHZ, ASUS A8N-3 MB and KINGSTON HYPERX PC3200 2 X 1GB 184PINN DDR . Decided to use a GFORCE 6800 PCI EXPRESS card. When I turn on pc, everything spins up fine, but no video signal. Have replaced mb, video card and ram, same thing. Have confirmed all connections and even reset cmos. Any ideas?

Hello! Welcome to TechSpot!

What power supply do you have? make and model.
Try just the bare essentials. just to get to post.
1 stick of ram
cpu/heatsinkfan
video
psu
keyboard
Be certain you have power cable to all connections on MoBo {20, 24, 20+4 pin sets}
remove all else
hdd
cdrom/dvd
soundcards
nic

No Video Issue

Have a THERMALTEK TR2 W0093 500W ATX 12V. Have already brought down to bare bone. I have been building pc's for 10 years and have never seen this before lol.. I am going to consider switching to INTEL P4 and new mb today. Maybe CPU is faulty, only thing left.

Could be the cpu...what a drag that looks like quite the system.
I'm more Intel based, but very much want to do more with AMD64.

G'Luck!
Let us know how it goes for you..

Could be the case as well, I've run into that before,
may be shorting the MoBo somehow.
Try a frankinstien setup, no case, and bare setup just to see what happens.

No Video- Resolved

Thank you for your great help. I went and changed to a different case, all working. First case was a SILVERTEK LCM10 MULTI MEDIA. Got it at www.frozencpu.com, looking for a sleek change. Cost about $230.00 and what a pain in the %$#@%$. KISS rule definately applies here. Now I will attempt to return some components. WIN XP PRO currently loading.

re: No Video- Resolved

That's Great!
Any ideas on what the problem was with the case?

edit: Looks like discontinued company :dead:

Oh, there they are.
Media center box. Could have something to do with vfdguide
IR remote control. That is a very nice case, I hope you are able to figure it out.

What type of case did you end up using and how do you like the AMD now?

edit: If you'll notice in this forum, there are a lot of very similar threads. even at the bottom of this page.

The case I had that showed same symptom, turned out to be faulty front panel ribbon cable, not just loose wires. The pair of wires for reset switch had a small section about 2" from the switch and a good 1 1/2" into the ribbon cable, had a 1/8" missing insulation making a constant short.
Took me forever to figure it out and had switched out several psu's.

Sometimes when there is a small circut board, that all the front panel connections (Led's, power sw, reset, ir, usb, firewires etc.) go to can prove trouble some too! Especially if they have digital readout or lcd on front of case.

Either way, I'm betting on, it's the psu too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back