2.5" SATA vs. 3.5" SATA

By Savage1701
Oct 26, 2006
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I have a 7200RPM 2.5" SATA notebook drive. I would like to use an adapter bracket in my PC to make it my c: drive. My question is this, assuming that both the 3.5" and the 2.5" drives spin at 7200RPM and are both SATA I, is there anything else that would make the 3.5" drive appreciably faster? I'm thinking controller chips on the hard drives themselves, etc. I am not a gamer, I don't need Raptors, etc. I'm just trying to put a spare drive to use that's gathering some dust. Thanks for any help.
  2. Nodsu

Nodsu Newcomer, in training Posts: 9,431

Why do you think the 3.5" drive is faster? You have the specifications?

The notebook drive may have been built to be more shock-resistant and the mechanics may be more robust (slower).. Other than that I don't really see why there should be any performance difference. Actually, seek times could be lower on a 2.5" drive because the heads have to move smaller distances (assuming that the mechanics are just as fast).
  3. Rik

Rik Banned Posts: 4,985

3.5's are usually quicker than 2.5's as 2.5's are desinged to use less power and generate less heat!!! That being said, with sata the difference in speed is often tiny or non existant!!

You may find a 2.5 has less cache on it than a 3.5 possibly!!!!
  4. Savage1701

Savage1701 TechSpot Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 279

Thanks for the opinions. And yeah, I figured the 2.5" would have less cache on it possibly. I did not have any real reason to think the 3.5" would be faster. Thats why I said no Raptors, etc. Thanks again for the help.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.