2 ddr not working together

Status
Not open for further replies.

dimaiovu

Bonjour!

I've tested my RAM memmories (2 ddr Samsung by 512mb each) with MemTest and I get 0 errors while testing each by each, but if I put them both I get the blue screen and system restarts when I try to test them with MemTest.

What is the reason?

Thanks

PS. I have only 2 ddr slots and I realy don't know what to do now, to sell this memories? and maybe buy new ones, but how can I be sure that the new ones will work?

Processor Pentium 4, 2.8ghz
Motherboard Compaq D310 (with LAN and Sound integrated)
Chipset Intel i845g
Ram: 1024 DDR Samsung (2x512mb)
Video: Radeon 9550, 128mb
CD-RW
and Samsung 206bw monitor

And the computer has been used only for a year, everything is fresh inside.

This Compaq may need proprietary RAM. Are you trying to add a stick that has never been installed before? Both sticks must be identical to each other. Are they?

Did you ever run with both sticks in at the same time or is 1 new? What is your system's maximum amount?

The sticks are on this MB for about a year, i worked with them all the time. Both sticks are identically: Samsung DDR for 512 each.

The problem appeared one day ago, I didn't change anything in the system.

Well, I made one in BIOS: restore to defaults, and I hope that the person who used the computer before me, didn't make any changes there in latency/frequency.

The system max ammount is 3GB, I saw it somewhere, but I have only 2 ddr slots. There are 4 emty slots unde my video card, but i don't know if i can use one of them for memory and what is the max ammount that i can install on each slot. How can i find out that?

You need some info here. Download CPU-Z

What are the serial numbers of the memory? Is it nonECC? PC2100, PC2700 or PC3200? You can confirm 2.5V voltage with the serial number. Is it running at something like 2.5-3-3-6 at 333 speed?

What bus speed is your Pentium? 100MHz or 133MHz?

After you fit memory, try taking out the CMOS battery for 5 minutes with the power unplugged and run normal bios setup again with time and date, confirm your memory is listed there, exit saving changes. This forces a bios to reconfigure.

If all this is greek to you, just do a registers dump in the last Window of CPU-Z and post the long text file here. Someone will know what it means...;)

I have the same problem, I am guessing it's the motherboard's DIMM slots, or the processor with me. Make sure your RAM is getting adequate power, and that the clock speeds are nominal (not OCing) If you have another MOBO, test them in there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back