2 disk or 3 disk RAID best for me?

By MorganB
Mar 14, 2003
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I have 3 seagate 120 barracudas and i trying to decide on raid0 setup. I play a lot of games and do a lot of video editting so I was thinking i need a block size of 512k or even 1mb. But i know that will not help with the OS.

So my question is this: Is it best to have all three drives in raid with big block size, or best to use 2 drives in raid and the other as a normal IDE drive for the OS.

I think the answer is three drives as the performance on a raid solution with large block size will be identical to a single drive and so I may as well have 360 all in one. Ive googled and searched here and I just wanted second opinions before I fry my drives or something as a total newbie to raid :)

thanks
  2. MorganB

MorganB Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

On the far side of wierd I seem to find perfomance better with 2 drives in an array than 3 drives. So i guess im going for the 2 & 1 solution rather than 3.

Go figure ...
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.