2 DVD-RW drives on same PC? Problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Guys,
I wish someone could help me with this.
I currently have a Mat****a 8587 DVD-ROM drive as well as a brand new NEC ND4550 DVD-RW drive. Every time I try to copy DVD's from DVD+R's, my DVD-ROM just won't read +R's (not even -R's actually) so that I always have to copy first to my HD and then to my DVD.

My question is: could I just replace my DVD-ROM drive with the former Liteon DVD-RW 851S I had before? Would it cause compatibility problems or whathever if I connect 2 DVD-RW drives onto my pc? And, If I can, which one should I put in slave or master?

Thanks for your help.

I haven't had any problems with two DVD+/-RW drives, master and slave.

It shouldn't make any difference which one is master.

You can add as many DVD burners as your system can handle. 4 X IDE, as many SATA your system can handle (minus one for the boot drive preferably) and then you can throw in whole bunch of SCSI ones too.

The important thing is your power supply, if you already have a DVD burner and a DVD-ROM, the chances are, you will be OK, keep in mind that a DVD burner requires more juice especially when it is "burning", about 1A more.

Nero can write to more than one burner at the same time, it would be cool to make 2 copies at the same time (for me it would) but this requires you to make an image on your drive first. This is out of topic kind of, just babbling on.

Have you tried cleaning the DVD-ROM drive. A dirty laser will not pick-up some lower end DVDs let alone a burned DVD. Just a thougt. A standard CD cleaner disk will do the job.

kirock said:
Have you tried cleaning the DVD-ROM drive. A dirty laser will not pick-up some lower end DVDs let alone a burned DVD. Just a thougt. A standard CD cleaner disk will do the job.

I think it sounds more like the older DVD players not being able to read DVD-Rs, CD-Rs and such.
I have an old DVD player that I use to watch movies but it can not play my homemade movies (and NO, I am not going to share :rolleyes: ) but this generic $40.00 DVD player I got last year, can't play DVD movies as good as my old player but it does play anything I throw at it.

Thanks for the answers guys, but I guess I didn't explain clearly (sorry for my English is not my main language, I'm French-speaking).

Problem is my DVD-ROM is actually not supposed to be able to read DVD+R's, so that every time I receive a movie from a friend of mine which is on a +R, I have to read it through my DVD writer (now NEC) and copy it to my HD before being able to burn it onto a new DVD+R.

And since I just bought the NEC and I still have the former Liteon 851S in my possesion, I was wondering if could replace my DVD-ROM with the Liteon ('cos he can play +R's of course) in order to be able to burn DVD's on the fly directly.

If I can do that with no conflicts with the two DVD writers (NEC and Liteon), which one should I connect as slave or master, and on which IDE channel?

Thank you

aucun problème!

Just make sure your power supply can take it.
Use the secondary channel.
Just replace the new burner with your DVD-ROM as it is easier. Change jumpers to match what your DVD-ROM is right now. It does not matter which one is slave or master.

bonne chance!

Actually if one is a burner and the other a reader the burner should be set as master...

patio. :cool:

patio said:
Actually if one is a burner and the other a reader the burner should be set as master...

patio. :cool:

Read the subject line again, I know ... you need a coffee as bad as I needed one 30 minutes ago :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back