2 gateways, 1 network?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have one gateway downstairs connected to my laptop. I also have a gateway upstairs trying to connect my PC to the same network. My ISP is Telus, and I'm using a Seimens Gigaset se567.

It's just not working?
I'm new to Techspot, so if any experts could give me a hand on how I could go about setting up, that would be great.

Problem: Can't connect, DSL & Wlan light not on.
When I connect gateway 2, gateway 1 doesn't work. (neither work)

Update: I can turn off the gateway downstairs, and gateway upstairs will work, but I can't use gateway 1 while on the net with gateway 2. This could be a serious issue as both my friend and I are on our computers and require internet access to do our work.

how are the devices wired
Code:
   ispA --- modem ---       ?????          --- modem --- ispB
AND are both gateways attached to the same ISP with the same account number?

Both Gateways are Telus Gigaset se567, same ISP, and same account number.

How is it Wired?....

I have a DSL wire, power wire, and Ethernet cable, both gateways are connected in the exact same fashion.

then you effectively have
Code:
   ispA --- modem ---       
        +
        +---modem ---

This will never work as you have already determined; only one of the modems can be active at a time.

the first diagram shows you need a separate ISP connection and the two networks
would have nothing in common -- including print/file sharing.

To have both buildings on the same network, you will need one ISP, ONE modem,
one connection, a router (connected to the modem). To the router you connect all the system(s)
in building A. Save one port on the router for building B (if need be, add a switch).
One port from the router (or switch) is then wired (in a conduit underground) to the
other building (max of 300 meters).

If that's too far or a wired connection will not work, then take the extra port on the
router to an Access Point (WiFi device). In building B, add a WiFi bridge (to connect
to building A and to the bridge connect another switch for connections to systems in
building B. Thruput to/from building B will degrade to 54mbs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back