2 hard drives C and F. Can't backup F drive

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have 2 hard drives in my computer, C & F. I want to back up my files on the F drive. I have Windows XP. I did backup the files on C, but I did so in a new folder on C -- mistake? What I have on my F drive is very important. How can I backup files on F? The computer only wants to backup C all over again when I change it to F. What should I do? Thanks in advance.

Kathy

what program are you using to back up with? are you sure you have enough space on the F drive to back up to?

I am on Windows XP, AOL. I am trying to do this with MicroSoft. No special program. I have the blank CD in its drive, go to MY Computer, etc. I'm thinking now I just want copies of CD of certain important files in different folders on F drive.
Kathy

if that is the case, just try to drag the files u want to backup to the CD writer in My Computer and Windows should write it to CD.

So your F drive is the CD/DVD writer? Are you using "Microsoft Backup" or just copying into the cd drive?

Maybe its time to go get a proper backup program if nickc's advice doesn't work. Good ones that is worth paying are stuff like Norton Ghost, which backs up an image of the files you want. There are also backup services available from your cd writer software like nero and roxio etc. But if its just puting in files on to the cd (which you can view on any pc) then use a cd writer software..

I found a way.

I selected files to copy to CD. And I had no trouble. I also discovered I did backup my files and they're on CD now too (a copy). I think I started the process by going to My Computer, selecting F for F drive, finding the files, then copying them to E drive, my CD drive. And I had CD-RWs at hand. I just did this now, and I wanted to thank you guys for helping me.

Yours Truly,
Kathy

P.S. I had a tech from Gateway trying to help me last night. He didn't know a damn thing. So thanks.

I say depending on your data size, you might just want to backup it to a thumb/ flash drive. Its cheap nowadays and more reliable than CDRW. Faster when you want to excess too.

I did backup the files on C, but I did so in a new folder on C -- mistake?
yep!

why? Just ask yourself, "how do I get to my backup to restore the C drive data when the backup is on the failing drive?"

ALWAYS write a backup to some other media.
If you have (2) hds C: + D: you can at least
backup C -> D:\backupC
backup D -> C:\backupD​
A better use of the precious HD space would be to backup to your CD/RW

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back