2 HD,2 same OS. booting from one HD and need to boot from the other HD

Status
Not open for further replies.
the Noisy HD that is booting now I need to disconnect and have the Quiet HD boot. The Noisy HD is on Primary Master and the Quiet HD is on Secondary Slave(slave to a cdrom but not for long). I have installed win2000 on Quiet HD and when I restart I get two choices to boot from(Microsoft Windows Professional). I can now select either one and it will finish loading both OS perfectly. Can I just attach the Primary ribbon to the Quiet HD and get it to boot? do I have to also check the jumpers and BIOS??

thanks,
joe
:hotbounce

No, you can't do it that easily. You will have to switch jumpers, set your one thats on the cd to master, and put it where the old drive is (on that ribbon).
But you don't have a master boot record on the one thats slave drive, so you will have to deal with that.
Wait until someone else replies before you do anything cause I'm not sure on what to do to make it work. My guess is you can do whats outlined in this thread: https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic8356.html

if your newer os takes over are the reg files for your progams in it
you might be better of making an image of replaced drive and load it to the newer one
microsoft has a utility called sysprep this has it's bugs ,but I have used it to move whole system over to new drive

If the install on the quiet drive is fairly new, I'd suggest you simply remove both, make sure the quiet HDD is the PM, then format and install on that one.

Every hdd has its own mbr and its own active partition,the diference is which of them has the jumpers for master

not to sure bout 2nd drive having MBR or boot.ini files on it
ntldr may also be missing.
booting maybe possible only from the first drive when the 2nd OS was added
it may not have been made bootable
Soul Harvester's idea seems the best if no programs are lost
I have crashed many a HDD with loads of programs ,
starting over can be pain, as of right now my image takes up 3gb's
I'd hate to have to load all that back up,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back