2 network cards in one pc

By Daddyboy2
Oct 19, 2007
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hi all, can I do this , I want to keep one for internet and I want the other for linking up my xbox to my pc .
    any suggestions please ?
  2. bushwhacker

bushwhacker TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,086

No you can't.

You can only do this by using a good router connected to the internet, and you can connect to the computer and xbox 360.
  3. Nodsu

Nodsu Newcomer, in training Posts: 9,431

bushwhacker is talking bull****. You can hook up as many network cards as you want and connect stuff to them any way you like.

If you want to give your Xbox internet access, then you have to set up internet connection sharing on your PC. This is a standard procedure and there are literally thousands of guides.
  4. bushwhacker

bushwhacker TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,086

I tried it before, it won't work. Is it me or is there just another way?
  5. Rik

Rik Banned Posts: 4,985

Well it works perfectly well for me. 10/100 pci nic--> xbox. 10/100/1000 built in gigabit on mobo--> Internet connection.

Never had any problems with going online with my xbox.

At one point i had a second pci nic in there to my small network before i had my router.
  6. Schmutz

Schmutz Newcomer, in training Posts: 241

Just you mate, I also sucessfully set up:

USB MODEM --(usb cable)--> Downstairs PC [network card] --(ethernet cable)--> to...

UPSTAIRS PC [networkcard1]--(ethernet cable)-->Laptop
    [networkcard2]--(ethernet cable)-->Xbox 360

All online using a single connection. I have done this by using Internet connection sharing on the Downstairs PC. This gives the upstairs PC Internet. On that PC I go into "view network connections" and select all the connections I wish to use online with CTRL key pressed, and select "bridge connections" from the dropdown list.

Hope it helps :)
  7. Daddyboy2

Daddyboy2 Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

Only

I have only got an old xbox , will this be the same
    just want to transfer some folders once ive downloaded them off the net from my pc
  8. Rik

Rik Banned Posts: 4,985

Same here, I only have an old xbox.

For file transferring, flashfxp works well. It's not free, but the trial may last long enough for you to do what you want - http://www.inicom.net/pages/en.ffxp-home.php

You have to set a static ip on the xbox then tell flashfxp the ip to connect to if memory serves.
  9. Schmutz

Schmutz Newcomer, in training Posts: 241

Yeah I'm sure its the same mate. By using "bridge connections" and configuring it correctly the ethernet cables comming out of that machine will be online
  10. tipstir

tipstir TS Ambassador Posts: 4,578   +76

Also You can run own firewall using IPCop which uses two or more NIC cards. It does work! Or you can have your own mydomain in your home runing Server with two NIC with hardware firewall that too works. Just have to configure it right and you'll be all set..
  11. dae_amp_ika_dtp

dae_amp_ika_dtp Newcomer, in training Posts: 99

make sure the ethernet cable is a "cross-over cable".

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.