2 OS On one drive........

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

I have just installed 2 operating systems onto one hard drive (this is so I can have one set up for making music, and one for games, the internet ect...).

I also have a 2nd drive for all my music data.

What I need to do, is hide the OS's from each other.
For example when I goto my internet side, I can see the Music sides Hard drive and vice a versa. Will Partition magic do this?

Its just to protect my music side, as this has valuable data on it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

B

This is what PM8 says:
PM said:
To hide a partition

1 Select a disk and a partition.
2 Click Partition > Advanced > Hide Partition.
3 Click OK.

Tips

· To unhide a partition, repeat the steps above but click Unhide Partition in step 3.

· If you hide a Windows NT boot partition, you must manually edit your BOOT.INI file to point to a new Windows NT boot partition.

· Unless you are running Windows NT/2000/XP, unhiding multiple primary partitions may cause your machine to be unbootable.

· PowerQuest recommends running DriveMapper when you are prompted. Hiding a partition can make your drive letters change, causing applications not to run because application shortcuts, initialization files, and registry entries refer to incorrect drives. DriveMapper, a utility included with PartitionMagic, helps you easily update drive letter references. Under most conditions, DriveMapper will run automatically after you hide or unhide a partition.

· Windows 2000 does not recognize a partition you have hidden using PartitionMagic. Therefore, the only effective method to hide a partition from use under Windows 2000/XP-without deleting it-is to remove the partition's assigned drive letter.

The ONLY safe way would be to install a harddisk caddy, and get 2 harddisks, one with standard-OS and one with music-OS.
You can use the same Windows-install-disk for both installations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back