2 Pc 1 Adsl Help Please

Status
Not open for further replies.
i have 2 pc at home 1 connects with a USB adsl modem. both have a onboard network card. i have run the crossover cable to the computers and there are now 2 connections in the network connections window.

One connection is the DSL modem
One connection is the LAN conection

My problem is when I have the LAN connection disabled Internet Explorer works fine.
As soon as i Enable the LAN (with automatic ip address or with specific ip addresses) IE stops wotrking and says invalid DNS or gateway

If I enable the LAN connection with automatic IP addresses I get "limited or no connectivity" but if i specify a ip address both PC see each other.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.....

ADSL
(USB Port)
|
(USB Port)
PC1
(Network card)
|
|
crossover cable
|
|
(Network Card)
PC2

PC1
Internet Connection 1(ADSL)
IP: 222.222.222.221
Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
Gateway: 200.200.200.100

Internet Connection 2(LAN)
IP: 10.0.0.1
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Gateway: none

PC2
Internet Connection 1(LAN)
IP: 10.0.0.2
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Gateway: none

CAN THIS WORK?????
Thank you sooo much

buy a router and connect buth pc's to it with net wrok cables and connect the router to the modem.this will aloow the use of internet and lan on both computers simalyaniously.

ontly problem is that we are on a tight budget and the ADSL only has a USB plug.... otherwise thank you That would have worked.

Routers aren't all that expensive, and they're very simple to set up. If you don't need wireless, that makes it even cheaper and simpler, I would just go get one if I were you.

Here's one that starts around $40, it includes Wireless in case you ever decide to do that. (I couldn't find one without wireless, they probably don't make them anymore):

http://reviews.cnet.com/D_Link_DI_624_router/4505-3319_7-20817312.html

I have the older version of this. (DWL-524 is what I have, this is the 624)

There are other companies such as Linksys and Zonet that make routers too, but I'm just used to D-Link.

Seriously though, getting a router is the fastest and easiest way to do it.

EDIT: I have the DI-524, not DWL. Still, you should get a router.

EDIT AGAIN: Oh, only has a USB plug... Wierd... Are you sure about that? If so, then call your DSL provider and ask for a modem with Ethernet connection option. (That is, if they're the ones that provided your current modem)

set up internet connection sharing via home network wizard, thats the fastest way and cheapest, although the computer connected to the net will have to stay on while you are using it on the other one.

otherwise, invest in a modem-router (1 unit that serves both adsl modem and router). best brands are dlink, netgear, belkin, netcomm, linksys.. just check your compatibility with your ISP to see what models you can get

N3051M said:
set up internet connection sharing via home network wizard, thats the fastest way and cheapest, although the computer connected to the net will have to stay on while you are using it on the other one.

otherwise, invest in a modem-router (1 unit that serves both adsl modem and router). best brands are dlink, netgear, belkin, netcomm, linksys.. just check your compatibility with your ISP to see what models you can get

Oh, yeah. Modem/Router is a good idea as well.

Modem/Router

I have to disagree with the "combo-unit" philosophy. For the same reason I despise the All-In-One printers. Having a single point of failure is just plain dumb. A modem feeding the WAN connection to the router, which sends the signal to both PCs is the best way to go, and not terribly expensive. Otherwise, ICS is really the only "free" way to share the internet connection, though I can't really recommend doing it because it requires the 1st PC to be turned on constantly. There is also the security issue. Most competent routers have a hardware firewall built in, but with your current setup you have a public IP and are relying solely on the WinXP firewall to protect your PC.

Hope my terribly skewed views help make your decision.

C0d3Warr10r

Most competent routers have a hardware firewall built in, but with your current setup you have a public IP and are relying solely on the WinXP firewall to protect your PC.
true, and so are most d-link modem/router units as well.. and if you're unsure check teh box under features...
true to that fact that all-in-one anything is realy limiting, as i have such devices which does 2+ things and then you decide to buy somethign that is actualy just does the one and does it better making the original device just a paperweight or a curse..
But. having said that. i sell these routers & modems & m/r & printers & scaners & multifunctions etc as my job, to some, especialy when they are new to the whole pc thing or run buisness from home and dont have much of space even to put a busness card holder on the table, these all-in-ones are godsend for them.. and whats wrong with having a single point of faliure? most of it;s still covered by warranty (if it still has it)

Single Point of failure

Quote:
and whats wrong with having a single point of faliure? most of it;s still covered by warranty (if it still has it)

____

Well, the problem with a single point of failure is that if your router goes out, you have to return both your router and your cable modem to the manufactorer to be replaced. I often trouble shoot routers by taking them out of the loop when asking my employees to connect to the company VPN. If their router has come goofy config that they've been tweaking around with, they sometimes limit their ability to connect to the typical VPN ports. Alas this post was a bit off topic, but a relavent question was addressed.

Referencing the All-in-One printers, (though CERTAINLY space savers) they are bohemouths when it comes to the software it has to install on your computer. I've seen some HP A-I-O printers where the software download was 400-500MB. Compared to maybe a few MB per device driver seperately. I'll state that this is just a personal preference, but a well thought out, and logical preference none the less. :)

C0d3Warr10r

usb and nic cannot work together
if you are using the usb port as network your done
to share you have to have the main machine have 2 nic's in it
1 for the modem 1 the for the shared machine
though off topic I prefer seperate hardware also
but for hobbyest this may not be the case, as prices are of more concern

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back