2 PSUs in one tower?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mastronaut

Has anyone ever tried 2PSU's in one tower? I ask because I'd like just one to run my video card <ATI X800GTO> so I'd like to know if that's worthwhile since I have a few laying around that are not all that great. I know it's probably a stupid question, go easy on me.... ;>)

I've never heard of that being done. I don't know where you would get the room. I would recommend that you get a new Psu with greater wattage.

My system is an AMD Athalon 1ghz with a little over a gig of ram Nvidia FX-5200 256.
I'm getting it ready to run some classic games as well as Microsoft Flight Simulator 2002.
I can't afford a new machine right now, so I thought I'd get this one running the best I can.
The ATI X800GTO came out of my other computer that the wife took over.
I just bought a new heatsink and fan assembly for it, it takes it's own power supply,
rather than maxing out the PSU, I thought I may be able to just hook up the graphics card to a 250W
unit I have laying around doing nothing. Just a wall plug and a 6 pin into the card. Do able?

Um...would you even need two power supplies to power that?

I have heard a website reviewing triple GTX280's or 4870x2 x2's using a 1000w corsair, and another corsair (I think that was a long time ago when they came out).

I assume you can, take your weaker powersupply and hook it up to everything except your graphics card, then hook up the more powerful one to the graphics card if you need to. Were to put it...well i have no idea.

Yeah, that's what I'm talking about! I'll jam it in the case fans up to help keep things cooler.
Remember, this is an experiment, so not a big deal if I have parts lying everywhere!

You'd need to make a switch or a short between one of the pins (forget which one it is) to turn on the 2nd PSU. Once you've taken care of that it should work.

Now if the 2nd PSU fries it could potentially fry the other one too if a 'ground' becomes shared between them and something goes wrong (just having a shared ground when both are operating normally shouldn't be an issue).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back