2 Question: Wallpaper/Run

Status
Not open for further replies.

HiJackThis1.99

1)Is there a way to make the wallpaper unchangable. Meaning, a different user cannot simply right-click and go to settings? If not then how did Spy Speriff do it-I remember there was a special entry in the registry.

2)Is there a way to clear the history in the Start-Run bar and on Internet Browers?

I'm going to run under the assumption you're running Windows XP here as you don't state.

1) This can be done with Local Group Policy

1. Click on Start
2. Click on Run
3. Type in gpedit.msc
4. Expand User Configuration
5. Expand Administrative Templates
6. Expand Control Panel
7. Highlight Display
In the right side is a list of policies that you can enable or disable that will affect what options users have regarding changing display.

2) You're asking a few different questions here. If you mean the history as in what you see in the address bar then:

In Internet Explorer > Tools > Internet Options > Clear History

If you mean the text in forms, such as when you search on google all your other searches are stored there then:

In Internet Explorer > Tools > Internet Options > Content > AutoComplete > Clear Forms

To clear the start-run bar:

Right click on your task bar at the bottom of your screen > Properties > Start Menu > Customize > Clear > Ok

Hope that helps

For the start-run menu bar thing another option is open regedit, surf to
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\ Software\ Microsoft\ Windows\ CurrentVersion\ Explorer\ RunMRU\.
Delete all of the values in this key in the right pane, except for (Default).

Two alternative ways to do the job,if you like to have a choice -

1.Copy and paste THIS reg fix into notepad and save it as a .reg file,then double click on it.That disables the wallpaper changing.

2.Download CCLEANER That will clear not only clear your history,but also your present and future(only kidding).

Yo, guys thanks. I disabled my wallpaper awesome!

Funny, thing is I ran Spybot it detected SpySheriff, because since the wallpaper is locked it is one of the features of spysheriff.

One more question. Is there a way to disable downloading stuff from the internet. And by that I mean everything. Authorized, not authorized, ActiveX I mean everything?

I do this because my sister is a n00b with computers and gets downloading malware then I have to spend hours getting rid of it.

What I would do is give her her own account with limited (i.e. not admin) priviledges, which limits what she can run and install on her computer. You can then switch off Active X and javascript and file downloads by going to Internet Explorer > Tools > Options > Security > Custom Level. You'll find everything in there to lock it down as much as possible. But no way is 100% effective to stop her putting crap on your computer short of not letting her on the net lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back