2 questions about networking

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wobwill

Hi,

I have two questions about networking.

1) When applying MAC address filtering on my belkin router am I correct in assuming that it will apply to all network cards, both wired and wireless?

2) I have a network at home that two of my housemates use to access the internet. We do not do any kind of file sharing etc. I have recently installed Ubuntu on an old laptop of mine and would like to be able to access files and the printer on my desktop. Is it possible to set up a sub-network that allows me to file and printer share between the desktop (winxp) and the laptop (ubuntu), that does not allow the other computers connected to the router access to my files etc?

I know that Ubuntu and Windows XP will network together, I just don't know how to go about it and ensure that my housemates can't access my computers or me their.

Will.

1) There is no need to filter wired connections. If you don't want them on, you simply disconnect them. It is for wireless, where you cannot just unplug a cord to remove the internet connection.

2) The easiest way for this is probably to setup a software firewall and restrict access to your shares by ip address on the network. At least that's the simplistic way that I would do it.

change the workgroup for your 2 machines

if they don't know the name the other machines can't get in to share
some how I don't remember I made 2 workgroups and I can still access both groups(password protected)
but when I set up new machines I have to change workgroup name to share??
set wireless up with WAP

even in a wired net you can use MAC filtering to predict the assigned IP address.
this forces unknown MACs into a higher range on the subnet and your firewall
can then treat addresses < X one way and > X another :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back