2 software for the same CD-RW

Status
Not open for further replies.

fredericklee

Hi

If I have a dual boot system, with winME and winXP, can I install 2 different software for the same cd-rw on the 2 different OS.

Like say, nero on xp and Aptec on ME if my cd-rw can support these 2 application.

Originally posted by fredericklee
Hi

If I have a dual boot system, with winME and winXP, can I install 2 different software for the same cd-rw on the 2 different OS.

Like say, nero on xp and Aptec on ME if my cd-rw can support these 2 application.

Yes, your OS's are completely independant of each other. If you have them on different partitions you can access files and folders from each OS. When you install app's they will run like you say in each independant OS.

There is nothing stopping you from using different apps in the same OS either... Though if you try to use them at the same time (Feurio! to check CD-R capacity and Nero to burn), you'll have a couple of problems...

With Nero open first, Feurio! can't get a lock on the cd and vice versa..

.02$

MrGaribaldi is 100% right. I had several installed on my computer and my burner stopped working all together. I thought it died on me til I consulted a friend who said to uninstall all my burning software and try installing them one at a time. I only use 2 proggies now. NTI CD maker 2001 and Clone CD.

Easy CD creator and Nero do not play well together..I know from a first hand experience. I would only put one on and just use it exclusively. I have been using Nero for years and it seems to be stable enough for my needs although there is a nasty rumor out there that in some instances Nero can crash a computers hard drive. I usually dont believe this kind of stuff if I read it on the web but someone who works with me was also telling me the same thing..

It scares me, but not enough to make me pay 50.00 for a copy of the newest XP compatible version of Easy CD creator.

Originally posted by svtcobra
Easy CD creator and Nero do not play well together..

You are right, they do not. Both have very different implimentations of the ASPI layer, Nero is clever enough to have its own localised one in its own program files directory, but Easy CD's is system wide and effects everything that uses this.... CD writing, DVD playback, all are effected by its ASPI layer implimentation....

Originally posted by Phantasm66

You are right, they do not. Both have very different implimentations of the ASPI layer, Nero is clever enough to have its own localised one in its own program files directory, but Easy CD's is system wide and effects everything that uses this.... CD writing, DVD playback, all are effected by its ASPI layer implimentation....

Thats what it is..The ASPI layer. I was trying to remember what it was that makes these cd burning programs more than just software installs.

Sorry for my knowledge in computer, but may I know what is this ASPI layer and how do I access it informations?

Ok, Let me get back to the point. As what you say, Nero and EZ CD creator does not play well with each other! Does that means that even if I dual boot system and I install them in different OS, it still not compatable right?

Thanks for the info.

Here is a link that explains what it is. Do not apologize for not knowing everything, we all start somewhere and that is what these forums are for. I know a great deal and I am asking questions almost everyday of things I don't know...have fun and enjoy yourself, and post your questions!!

Aspi expanation

And no, If you install lets say nero in 98SE and Easy in 2000, they should work fine. They don't like each other if they are both in the SAME OP's system, i.e. both installed in 98se.

Does uninstalling EZCD Creator then not undo what it has done to the ASPI layer?
Is it better to (once EZCD is installed) remove Nero and only use EZCD than it is to use Nero and Remove EZCD?

Unfortunatly, Many uninstalls are not very complete :mad:(hey, they don't want you to use another brand of program anyway!;)
and some traces may be left in the registry. yuo may want to run a utility (Norton regclean,etc. between installs)
Nero (aside from being a better program, IMHO) has a through uninstall. Brand X (mentioned above ) does not!

Originally posted by boeingfixer
Do not apologize for not knowing everything, we all start somewhere and that is what these forums are for..

I agree most completedly. None of us know it all. There is so much that I do not know. I want to know. Badly. But it takes time.....

You have to resign yourself (and I say this knowing computing professors who have been in the computing industry for 30 years) that you will never know it all....

But keep trying to! :)

Originally posted by T-Shirt
Unfortunatly, Many uninstalls are not very complete :mad:(hey, they don't want you to use another brand of program anyway!;)
and some traces may be left in the registry. yuo may want to run a utility (Norton regclean,etc. between installs)
Nero (aside from being a better program, IMHO) has a through uninstall. Brand X (mentioned above ) does not!

If you uninstall Roxio's easy CD, you WILL NOT remove its ASPI layer..... you are pretty much stuck with it unless you can delete the actual files and registry entries.... good luck ;)

About halfway down this thread, I was ready to reply that I've been running the most current versions of Roxio's Easy CD Creator, Nero (both in platinum editions) and CloneCD (great little program) with no problems until I read all the way down and realized that I do have problems getting Direct CD (Roxio) to initialize when I pop in a blank(never had this problem before installing Nero). I can get around this with some effort but it has puzzled me. But...I can do the same operation as DirectCD in Nero much less effort and no hassles. Pick the one you like the best and stick with it. If you can stand the hassles presented by installing both and a dual install doesn't crash your drive then go for it.
And yes, I am learning new things here all the time, even things I should have learned through experience weeks ago.

If you uninstall Roxio's easy CD, you WILL NOT remove its ASPI layer..... you are pretty much stuck with it unless you can delete the actual files and registry entries.... good luck ;)

It doesn't.

Its crap.

And yesterday it corrupted ALL of my SCSI subsystem.

:evil:

/me is never installing roxio again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back