20" LCD Monitor

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope someone can help this newbie. I just bought a 20" Viewsonic VX2025wm LCD monitor. All my text and graphics and photos are all stretched out. So are all my photos when I view them. How can I fix this. Thanks you.
I have:
WinXP home edtion SP2
HP Pavilion PC
512mb RAM
160 GB hard drive
3300+64 processor
SIS 760 video card

Is it a 20" WIDEscreen? Or 20" square? Because it sounds like your resolution needs changed. LCDs like to run at only their designed resolution. It should say in the manual what the recommened resolution is. Once you know it, something like 1280x1024 or 1600x1200 or whatever. Then you right-click on your desktop, choose properties. Go to the settings tab, and change the resolution from there.

Good luck

Thanks for your response. I did what you said and tried to change the resolution to the recommended setting of 1680 X 1050. It only allows me to raise it to 1600 X 1200. Any suggestions?

That appears to be a widescreen ratio. Do you have any other wide screen options under that?
A normal ratio is 4/3 such as 800x600. Your widescreen ratio is 8/5. See if you have any other choices in this ratio.

Otherwise, it is a function of the video adapter if it can go to your resolution. However, if 1600x1200 is a choice, I'm sure it can do 1680x1050 (maybe, since 1680 IS larger then 1600, it might not).

Maybe someone can research your video adapter. Do you know what video card you have?
Go in Device Manager and see what your card is. Then we can lookup what resolutions it handles.
Otherwise, try a lower resolution with the same ratio.

Good luck.

I solved the problem. I took the stupid thing back and got a 19" monitor. The resolution is fine and all is working well. I contacted Viewsonic and there is no way to adjust the default resolution. Thanks for trying to help me.

No problem, LCDs can be picky like that, especially when they have odd resolutions, you need a video card that can handle it. A standard 20" LCD with a regular default ratio would have worked for you. Like the 1600x1200 or my favorite, 1280x1024. But that off, widescreen just wasn't happening.

Enjoy your new one just the same, I'm stll on a CRT *cries*

With DVI the situation might be that, but at least Nvidia's control panel has an option to use custom screen resolutions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back