20 Years of Doom: Memories by John Romero & John Carmack

By Julio Franco
Dec 11, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Twenty years ago, on December 10, 1993, John Carmack, John Romero and the rest of the team at upstart id Software unleashed a game called Doom upon the world. Twenty years later, both men have written about their favorite memories...

Read more
  2. Littleczr

Littleczr TechSpot Booster Posts: 364   +66

I always found wolfenstein 3D to be more fun. Doom was cool but I would have preferred Wolfenstein 2.
    EClyde likes this.
  3. DanUK

DanUK TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 189   +7

Doom II was one of the first PC games I really played as a kid! So many fond memories. I remember in one of the levels a secret door flying open with one of the demons right behind it, almost made me fly off my chair backwards :')
    It was also the first game I ever played online, that for me was something magical at the time.
    wastedkill likes this.
  4. benken2202001

benken2202001 TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 154   +16

I remember using the Doom 3D Guru to build and manipulate the sprites and levels to customize the game. My favorite custom Doom 3D was Simpsons Doom 3D.
  5. psycros

psycros TechSpot Booster Posts: 616   +185

A friend of mine told me that Doom was the hottest thing going at this college, so I had another buddy who ran a local BBS download it at blazing 56k HST speed. When a few of us saw it running on the admin's machine for the first time, our jaws were on the floor. This was Wolfenstein on radioactive steroids - the engine was a quantum leap ahead. It was truly scary. And it didn't take long before it was the #1 download on the board. I made sound WADs for Doom that my friends really liked. Even tried some map making but I sucked at it..I have no grasp of 3D design. Co-op Doom was so much fun that to this day I really can't enjoy a deathmatch FPS..its gotta be co-op.
  6. LNCPapa

LNCPapa TS Special Forces Posts: 4,199   +228

Doom was it for me. I had to get a larger hard drive because of all the maps I was making and tools I was installing. I remember everyone thought I was crazy because I got 2 GB of total space for this and still didn't have room for everything.
  7. EClyde

EClyde TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 113   +11

My favorite part of Doom was the Marine scream when he fragged himself with a rocket.
  8. EClyde

EClyde TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 113   +11

it was OK but every wall and door was 6 feet thick
  9. IAMTHESTIG

IAMTHESTIG TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 357   +30

I never really played doom but I was in middle school when Quake 1 came out... we played that every day in the IPX based Novell network during computer class and break. Ahhh those are the days, such fond memories...
  10. I remember playing Doom when it first came out and it was awesome. Playing across a LAN at work was a blast.
  11. Prince of Persia, Doom, Command and Conquer, Age of Empires all these are classics. I still enjoy playing the Age of Empires II HD in Steam.
    I remember the last level of doom ii with the all those mobs makes my 80386 SX run at 1 fps :)
    DanUK likes this.
  12. rhik1984

rhik1984 Newcomer, in training Posts: 48

First came prince of persia. it got me addicted to computer gaming. I used to play it at my teacher's house. I was 8 or something! then came doom, OMG! Blood was a close competetitor. It gave me time to spend with my dad when I was a kid. I used to fire. he used to navigate! Those were the best days of my life! :)
  13. The codes/cheats are still implanted into my memory and I haven't played it in well over 15 years....
    IDKFA
    IDDQD
    IDSPISPOPD

14. DanUK

DanUK TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 189   +7

Yeah I've still got IDKFA burned into my memory as well.
  15. I only remember gabagabahey, and you got all the weapons

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.