2007,Holidays

almac46

I do like the Greek island of Rhodes, especially Rhodes Old Town which to me is akin to Edinburgh, but in the sunshine. I visited the Algarve, Portugal in 2006 and though it was OK it was nothing to write home about. I have visited Canada and the USA in the past two years but in '07 I think Crete will be my summer destination, but I'm very much open to holiday suggestions.
Regards

almac46

I recommend New Zealand! I live here and have done my whole life and I love it here. If your going to come then I would recommend doing a Lord Of The Rings tour as the movies were filmed here!
Cheers
Allan

The Arizona-Mexico border is a good choice. You don't have to worry about mosquitoes, rain, wind, or cool temperatures... nor do fresh vegetables or cold beer confuse things for you.

Good ol' Boston is a good choice, speaking as the "Bostonian" I am (I don't have the accent though). Of course, I would generally suggest this to Americans because this is only historic for the founding of the United States, through the revolutionary war. In Lexington and Concord for example, you can see the battlesite where the Revolutionary war began against the Minute Men and the British.

I can see myself in Boston, my son got a parking ticket there a few years ago so I don't think that a car is an essential piece of kit when visiting, indeed I almost drove there by accident (I/90 from Cleveland Oh. heading for Toronto) recently and whilst I did regret turning back (I did have a flight to catch)I made a mental note to return.
New Zealand, mmmm! Yep! Could happen.....long flight though.
Arizona, interesting, I intended to tie up with a friend there (July 4th Rodeo at Prescott) in the mid 90s but neither of us made it . Maybe this time!
A HotDog in Central Park, NYC. This was one of my original 'must do' targets. It had to be on a Sunday but I doubt if that will happen as times have changed.
The 'Bay of Naples'. now there's a thought. I'll let you know.
Thanks for taking the time to respond guys, so very typical of this Forum.
Kind regards
almac46 in Scotland

Costa Smeralda on Sardinia/Italy. At least you will not find any lager louts there (They can't afford to go there).
Tuscany/Italy around the Lucca area.
South of France (Provence specifically).
Both Madeira and Malta for a nice change (and they do speak English there).
St. Thomas (US Virgin Islands) is always a great destination.
Jersey C.I. if you want to stay closer to home.
Or go visit Tashkent and Samarkand, even in February it is already warm there.
Next I'll be traveling in my new 'home' country USA.

Yes it is a long flight to New Zealand from Scotland. I went there about 5 years ago and it was about 25 hours with a 2 hour stop in Hong Kong. We got a white xmas while staying in a little cottage in Glenlivet! I love Scotlad so much and would quite happily live there!

Sardinia, yes I quite agree and I hasten to add that I almost went there in 2005 but I couldn't get a direct flight to Sardinia and that was offputting, I'll have a look at some websites and check it out. Thanks for the suggestion RBS, I'll also have a look at Jersey C I.
Regards
almac46

alvdy, I had to look at the map to find Glenlivet just as I had to do in 1993 when I got hopelessly lost in this area and almost ran out of fuel. Scary stuff indeed!
Regards
almac46

If you've got money to burn, the American Orient Express has 3 amazing train tours of the Western US. I'm watching a show on it on Travel Channel right now, and half of the stops on one of their tours are places I've been and are amazingly scenic. Here is their website: http://www.americanorientexpress.com/

almac46 said:
I can see myself in Boston, my son got a parking ticket there a few years ago so I don't think that a car is an essential piece of kit when visiting

If you're not from Massachusetts, driving can be hard ;) . When I go to the Celtics (Basketball team), I usually take the commuter rail. Drivers are crazy and impatient here, so you're better off taking the bus or as we Americans say "The Subway" (metro).

SNGX1275, I checked out the website, expensive as you said, and when the cost of long haul flights etc are included somewhat prohibitive. Thanks anyway.
Regards
almac46

Sorry about the delay in replying guys, I was engrossed in 'Dawn of the Dead' on TV.......first time that I've watched the complete film.....and now (armed to the teeth) to bed. almac46 in Scotland

Ok, just giving you an idea. There are all kinds of places to visit in the US that are fun or beautiful. You don't have to go to a big city which probably isn't going to be all that much different than a big city anywhere else in the world.

Small town America can be interesting (i.e. the middle and south of the country mostly). Another beautiful place would be Saint Petersburg in Russia. Although I've never been there, I've seen pictures and my friend and his family are from Russia and they said that it was very beautiful.

I have visited the US on many occasions (my Dad lived in the suburbs of Cleveland Oh) and amassed all kinds of experiences including being run over by an Amish horse and carriage and winning a skeet shooting competition at my first attempt. I still intend to visit the US (my Dad passed away in 2005) as I have a stepfamily and even a local pub there so any suggestions are gratefully appreciated. Thanks again.

regards

almac46

Back