2017's Call of Duty will go back to franchise's roots

William Gayde

Staff

For better or for worse, Call of Duty is a series that never seems to go away with over a dozen major releases so far. Every year there is a new and arguably improved release. The franchise is on a "three-year, three-studio" development cycle meaning three different game studios produce a new game every three years. Black Ops III was built by Treyarch and Infinite Warfare was created by Infinity Ward, so the 2017 game will be coming back to Sledgehammer Games.

Sledgehammer was previously involved in the development of Modern Warfare 3 as well as Advanced Warfare.

The game was officially confirmed today by Activision in an earnings call. Along with the announcement, Activision Blizzard also reported positive financial results. The video game company's revenue was $6.61 billion for 2016, up from $4.66 billion the year prior. A large chunk of that revenue or about $4.87 billion came from digital sales as expected.

There isn't much to know about the game itself yet, but Activision did say the game is returning to the franchise's roots. Most recent CoD releases have taken place in the future or modern times, while the older games featured traditional combat. Activision believes this move will better resonate with gamers; something Infinite Warfare just couldn't do.

Not for nothing Infinite Warfare's reveal trailer ranks as the #2 most disliked video in YouTube history.

Nevertheless the series as a whole is still doing very well. Battlefield was king this past release, but there is still a large demand for new Call of Duty titles every year. Activision doesn't necessarily regret doing the more modern and futuristic style games, but they are hoping a back-to-basics game will bring great sales again.

Permalink to story.

Why do you think Modern Warfare is still popular now! because it gives players the ability to mod and make maps ,,simple effective and everyday is a new map day , get with the program and learn from your past mistakes build on the success of Modern Warfare, only place that mappers and modders can learn and most of it looks better than the modern crap out now even with dx9. Glad your going back but please leave us an Editor ffs.

The main issue with COD is not that that the games are getting too futuristic, but that the games simply aren't that good. Black Ops 2 and 3 did fairly well and got good reviews because they were good games set in the future while the other games in between were bad games trying to be gimmicky with futuristic things.
The time period is a gimmick for online games people want good gameplay.

"For better or for worse, Call of Duty is a series that never seems to go away with over a dozen major releases so far."
And that's the problem. "Franchise Fatigue". "Sequel Burnout". "Formula Apathy". "License Monotony". The AAA video game industry's brain drain is even worse than Hollywood's.

oS9oFXp.jpg

"For better or for worse, Call of Duty is a series that never seems to go away with over a dozen major releases so far."
And that's the problem. "Franchise Fatigue". "Sequel Burnout". "Formula Apathy". "License Monotony". The AAA video game industry's brain drain is even worse than Hollywood's.

beating-dead-horse.jpeg

My question is, when will it be alright to call a turd by it's name and diagnose the whole "AAA" industry with the nasty cases of Neophobia and Ideophobia that they've been nourishing for ages now?

Nice, 40$, cardboard box and no dlc.

But yeah it's gonna be the same game as the last 3 but in ww2 isn't it. Stopped playing cod after cod 3 as they started to make too much of them, can't spend 100$ on a game that get's old in a year. Either give full experience for 50$ or release every 2-3 years.

If they make a modern COD2 without any of the bullcrap they added in recent titles then I'll buy it. there is some room for WW2 games now.

How bad of a boat is COD in when people just want them to remake 10 year old plus games instead of try new things?

I mean, I don't know about you guys, but if they just rereleased MW2 with the same menus and leveling systems and all and no microtransactions, id pay money for it. I wouldnt be proud of it, but I would.

I like IW, I just wish it had been made by people without ADD and was longer then 2 hrs. I don't play online COD, that's just a game of who's the biggest frikin nerd and has no life, is the winner.

The best and most satisfying gaming experience I had with COD was World at War Co-op Campaign. Really, I would pay money for map pack expansions to the campaign then a new COD game.

"Call of Duty is a series that never seems to go away" ...Unfortunately.
"Every year there is a new and arguably improved release." How? How CoD gets improved? I see the same crap every year.

The best and most satisfying gaming experience I had with COD was World at War Co-op Campaign. Really, I would pay money for map pack expansions to the campaign then a new COD game.
Same here! When assaulting the Reichstag and the columns break and crash down on you! Holy s**t what an unexpected death! Blew me away so much I remember that more than the rest of the game.

I stopped playing COD after Black Ops I. I hated that they controlled the servers, the kill streak spam, and aimbot heaven. Just like EA these "AAA" studios only care about money and not player experience anymore. Lets release a DLC instead of patch the problems or stop the cheating, said a AAA studio NEVER!

I would of bought MW 1 over again to get the pretty upgraded graphics, but I am not going to buy Infinite Warfare to get it.

Their best games were MW and COD World at War (MW in WW2). Go back to that style of play and just tighten it up a bit (fix glitches and hax). Make it pretty with new textures and lighting. You have all of history to play with so pick a story and run with it.

Back