TechSpot

23" Acer LCD Flat-Panel Monitor - Now $160 on TigerDirect

By EXCellR8
Jul 15, 2009
  1. I guess the price on my Acer LCD has come down significantly since I bought mine back in Feb or March. Check it out:

23-inch Acer X233H HD Full 1080p

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicat...E=WEM1976BY&cm_mmc=EML-_-Main-_-WEM1976-_-lcd

I highly recommend this monitor to anyone, as it is great for all sorts of applications including video, photo editing and gaming. Hands down the best monitor I've ever owned and I'm actually thinking about buying another just because it's such a good deal now (compare to $220).

2. syde

syde TS Rookie Posts: 131

Wonder why the price for this specific monitor keeps dropping..it was like $220 a month ago, $170 a few weeks ago now its down to $160. kinda scares me, even though I really wanna buy 2 of them..

3. EXCellR8

EXCellR8 The Conservative Topic Starter Posts: 2,278

well i haven't had ANY problems w/ mine if that makes you feel any better. maybe it's just because they take up a lot of warehouse shelf space or something and they want to get rid of them. prices drop on computer hardware quite frequently, and monitors are no exception even though shaving $60 of the price is a bit generous. overall this is a great monitor and it's been working perfectly ever since I took it out of the box four months ago.

4. syde

well :wave: I bought one yesterday, now just gotta wait for it to show up at my door in 3-5bizz days!

so excited now!

5. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 10,816   +922

There is an old joke where two retailers are walking down the street, and one says to the other, "how can you lose a dollar on every item you sell and still make a profit"? The second man looks up to the sky and says, "volume".

Old joke, but a simple truth. Cash flow is the life blood of a business. Business have to pay interest on inventory the same way we pay it on our purchases.

Added to this is the fact that R&D costs on LCD displays have long been recovered and there is a great deal more competition for the shrinking amount of disposable income that exists in this economic climate.

Or more simply put, more monitors and less money available equals lower prices, and there's no need to wonder about the quality, it's a buyer's market.

6. syde

well when you are right you are right but hey It never hurts to look or wonder before you leap!

7. captaincranky

Be sure to let us know how you enjoy your new screen!

8. syde

comes in the mail today or tomorrow. can't wait to see WoW on it!

9. syde

My review of the "23" Acer LCD that was on sale:

Great LCD very a even better price. I have no color issues (dont really have to have it tilted in a exact spot). Its perty, new resolution is amazing (especially for games) and even has 4 different modes for color (incldung movie/games/low light and one other)

My only complaint is:

I wish I bought another one o.O hehe

10. captaincranky

So then, we have a winner? Yay!

Just as a point of conversation, TN panels are not too bad along the horizontal axis with respect to density and/or color shift. But along the vertical they're horrible. This doesn't matter all that much normally, since the average person doesn't grow or change the tilt angle on a daily basis. But, the problem becomes severe indeed, in the case of a pivoting monitor being used in the vertical.

Disclaimer: Since the only affordable monitors are TN, this has no brand specific prejudice, just a very, very general observation.

At any rate, much luck and enjoyment with your new equipment!

11. syde

"TN"? just curious for future reference and self edumacation

12. captaincranky

"TN" is a type of TFT (thin film transistor) panel. It's the least expensive to manufacture, but also the most "deviant" with respect to viewing angle and color reproduction. They do have the virtue a very fast response times.

The other 2 types of panels are "MVA", and "IPS-S". If you're truly curious you can Google these terms, as it's an involved subject, not suitable to my limited typing speed.

In any event, "TN" panel technology is the reason you didn't pay $600.00 for your new screen.

If you'd like to do some "on site" investigation, you might hit the Walmart electronics department and check out the TVs. Many TVs of 32" and below are now being outfitted with TN panels. As a result, the viewing angles are greatly curtailed! Try viewing the the smaller TVs, from below, if the image goes into negative, (more or less), then that's a TN panel. Most 32"s are, and anything above that, must be, MVA or better. Another way to determine this is the viewing angle spec, MVA is about 176 x 176 degrees, as is IPS-S.

Another interesting thing I saw at my local Walmart, is that the cable feed to the TV display caused a rainbow band to "walk" through the programming, but in only the TN panels. the others were unaffected!

13. syde

Thanks, I try to learn something new everyday :)

14. EXCellR8

I'm glad you like the screen, hopefully you can be more productive with all the extra room. I remember when I first got mine it was weird having so much space, but then I got used to it and now I look down on anything that is smaller. You know if it's the only monitor you use for a certain amount of time, after awhile just looking at a non-widescreen monitor feels funny... it's like going back to 56k.

15. syde

<gasp> 56k....

hehe

16. mako man

mako man TS Rookie Posts: 100

Too late I went online and the price went back to 190.00. I'll just have to wait a little longer.

17. EXCellR8

In the mean time, the 22" is only $140 if you don't really need the full 1080p...Even though the resolution and contrast ratio on the X233H is better, the 5ms response is the same. The 23" is still worth the $190 (compared to what I spent 6 months ago) but just make sure you have a video card that is capable of high resolution output.

18. captaincranky

Not, to say that you shouldn't wait for this particular screen, but there are many sales that come and go on a day to day basis. Hanns-G LCDs are very reasonably priced, and receive good reviews from happy customers.

I suggest, that if you're not already enrolled, you should suscribe to Newegg's Email bargains. There are many good deals, with special promo codes. You can surely find a good monitor in the size and price that you're considering.

My most recent score; a WD "Caviar Black" 750GB @ $69.95 w/free shipping. I've only had it for a couple days, but so far, I couldn't be happier.

19. mako man

mako man TS Rookie Posts: 100

Capt thanks for the info. I will subscribe to New Egg.

20. jojodancer

jojodancer TS Member Posts: 70

I have a 24" H243H. Paid $199.99 at Frys.

21. Mercury15

Mercury15 TS Rookie

This price is insane, price really gone down.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.