230$ upgrade to play Far Cry + FEAR: Chrome9?

Status
Not open for further replies.

agi_shi

So, I got 230$ to upgrade an old eMachines. I am keeping everything but the:
-PSU
-CPU
-Mobo
-Gfx Card
-Ram
(BTW, mobo must be micro ATX since I'm using the stock eMachines case.)

These are the components I've come up with:
Mobo
PSU
Ram
CPU
(On the side, how do these parts look?) Well, budget used up.

Now, what I'm concerned with is that I wanna use this pc for some gaming with my little bro (nothing like two brothers experimenting on some game together). Mainly Far Cry and FEAR.

The motherboard has integrated Chrome9 graphics. They (from their site) say it's DirectX 9 compliant.... I've heard that 128MB is the min. for it's memory, so that's good too (even though it's shared mem).

Basically, according to the required specs on the boxes, Far Cry AND FEAR should run fine on this thing, even if on low settings. But, do you think it'll work? I mean.... is the Chrome9 IGP as good as they put it? If I read correctly, they claim it even has HARDWARE pixel shaders? And they say it should be able to run Aero Glass on vista, so it MUST have HW pixel shaders? From their site, here are the specs:

DX 9 Engine
250MHz core clock
Pixel Shader Version 2
2 Pixel Pipelines

How does it compare to a 6100 IGP? I've seen reviews for the 6100 but not the Chrome9... Now, I know VIA isn't as famous (I think).... but still. Anyone have any experience or info?

And if you know the Chrome9 will totally suck... what do you suggest I get for 230$ MAX (NO more) that will be better (including the PSU, Mobo, CPU, Ram, and Gfx if needed)?

Thanks!

Anyone?!?

BTW, yes, I know the Chrome9 or the 6100 aren't for gaming, but the point is to allow gaming. I already have me a gamin' rig and I want to play these games under multiplayer with my bro.

Soo..... any ideas?

F1N3ST said:
Keep all the old stuff and get a 128-bit X1300 PCI.
I also have an agp slot, BTW.

I'm not going to shell out 120$ for a low-end card when for the same price for PCIe x16 I can get a high-end card (X850XT vs. X1300, theres really no comparison to be done).

Hmm... I'm going to swap the mobo for a Gigabyte one with a 6100 IGP. It seems the 6100 should blow the crap out of the Chrome9. 13 bucks more, but ahh well.

F1N3ST said:
Why not get an AGP card, a way better option than some integrated graphics.
And be stuck with a socket A mobo, socket A Athlon XP (1.6GHz), a 250W emachines PSU, and PC2100 ram - all from over 6 years ago?

Get a new PSU, athlon XP's are good. Then get a video card and save some money and come out on top.

F1N3ST said:
Get a new PSU, athlon XP's are good. Then get a video card and save some money and come out on top.
Well, I'm sure a six year old AthlonXP socket A is not as good as a 64-bit Sempron 3000+ for AM2. You know, just like the six year old PC 2100 single-channel ram sucks compared to the PC2 4200 dual-channel ram =).

I've purchased the parts already, but switched the mobo to one with a Geforce 6100 IGP.

Wow... This Sempron 64 is WEIRD! From 1.6GHz it went to 2.2GHz on stock voltage, stock cooling, and never busts 40C... It literally beats my Athlon64 at superpi!!!!?!!?!!?!?!!

Time to overclock my Athlon64 in this case.... =) (Sempron @ 2.2GHz, Athlon @ 2.0GHz).

agi_shi said:
Wow... This Sempron 64 is WEIRD! From 1.6GHz it went to 2.2GHz on stock voltage, stock cooling, and never busts 40C... It literally beats my Athlon64 at superpi!!!!?!!?!!?!?!!

Time to overclock my Athlon64 in this case.... =) (Sempron @ 2.2GHz, Athlon @ 2.0GHz).
Ahh, much better now with my Athlon64 @2750MHz. Still, this $50 Sempron overclocks like hell (RAM is DDR2 533 corsair value ram, so right now it's the only limiting factor, as at ddr2 400 and my 2.2GHz processor it hits exactly DDR2 533).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back